Catalytic burn question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceisasolid

Jan 3, 2011
North Central Idaho
If the bypass for a cat stove is to remain in the open position until a particular temperature- due to the catalytic combustor needing a specific temp to ignite... then what happens at night when the stove temp drops below the ignition point of the catalytic unit? Does this put some users at risk of having smoke from the stove puff back into the home?

Once the Cat is lit off, it'll continue as long as there's enough smoke to burn, regardless of firebox temp. When the Cat goes out, it's because the fuel is coaling and not supplying smoke, so no danger of a back-puff.

I think. :)

iceisasolid said:
If the bypass for a cat stove is to remain in the open position until a particular temperature- due to the catalytic combustor needing a specific temp to ignite... then what happens at night when the stove temp drops below the ignition point of the catalytic unit? Does this put some users at risk of having smoke from the stove puff back into the home?

No you will not backpuff because this.. I run my stove like this daily and have never seen it backpuff when near the coaling stage.. Backpuffing is a very occasional thing on most stoves if you burn dry wood and keep an eye on the draft.. Burning large amounts of small size wood will cause this and wet wood will cause it.. Very windy conditions can cause this if you have tall trees or other obstructions near your home too causing a down draft..

Ray

I agree. At the end of the burn, there is no smoke for the cat to ignite. Just forget it once you turn it on until you reload the stove again. No harm will be done. Also, you will not get backpuffing at the end of the burn; it is at the start and perhaps up to the middle of the burn when you get this. Hopefully you never get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.