Catalytic converter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lvfd50

Oct 1, 2007
Livonia NY
I was wondering if anyone had ever used or seen a catalytic converter that actually goes into your flue pipe. I saw one of these and it stated that it was for older stove to help make them burn better. It is a unit that has a draft control and a catalytic unit and also a lever to move the honeycomb out of the way for free flow when starting the fire. Just curious what everyone thinks.

I know my catalyst runs at about 1200 degrees and is contained in a refractory chamber, I wouldnt want something that hot sitting on my stove pipe.

These old pipe cats were just a cheap way for older stoves to clean up their emissions after the EPA standards were adopted. I heard they didn't work well and clogged often.

I've heard of them, never used one. Essentially they are a "band-aid" approach to a problem that needed major surgery... When clean burning in a stove became an issue these were invented (along with other gimmicks) to try and clean up the existing old smoke dragons, and maybe get a bit more heat out of them.

The problem is that they never worked very well, as a cat requires a certain minimum temperature to light off, which was hard to get unless the stove was run really hot (and a stove run hot is less of a polluter to begin with) When the stove was choked down for a long burn, the smoke level goes up, but the pipe temps go below the cat light-off temps.

This wasn't helped by the less advanced cat technology of the day, and the fact that the added air would not have been pre-heated the way it is in a modern design where the cat is part of the stove, and all but in the firebox.

Bottom line, save your money, spend it on a modern stove instead....

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.