1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cate Street Capital Plans $80 Million Pellet Facility in Easport, Maine

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by UMainah, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Sure can, But it may be a good while. The pellet furnaces are slim as it is. But down the road(unless we great something that is greener-more economical) I bet we see them. I image a corn furnace with some tweaks would do just fine with them. Seeing the corn furnaces are dead in the water with high corn prices, Its probably our best shot.

If they are using green energy to do the torrifying? Yes, If they are using fossil fuels probably not. I imagine they are using the same wood to make the pellets to create the heat for the process.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Can you say Senator Susie ????????????
  3. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    The process uses microwave technology to create the pellets.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    So electric might not be green if its produced from coal, or NG. But if its hydro-power it should be considered green. Our pellets require similar energy to be produced. They are still considered green AFAIK.

Torrified pellets require more energy than a wood pellet. They are milled in presses first like standard pellets. Then they need the energy to torrifie them. But I guess the extra BTU's they produce is worth it for the plants. I do assume the cost is more than coal.
    save$ likes this.
  5. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    One added benefit is the pellets are waterproof too.
  6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Yup and going down that track I would have expected both Dicky/Lincoln and Quoddy to already be up and running alas neither is or likely to ever be. Both were multi decade political offerings (footballs) to gather votes for various politicians of the striped skunk variety.

Like I said I'd love to see something happen down there but having seen what has transpired over the decades I'm not going to hold my breath while waiting.

Hell, they even fought over a proposed LNG facility and various Aquaculture operations down that way.

ETA: Just so everyone on here understands you are talking about my hometown.
    JayVee, CT Pellet and save$ like this.
  7. UMainah

UMainah Member

Loc:
    Bangor, ME