Cathedral ceiling and fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
Currently have a 50" ceiling can just one above our living room. Wood stove is there also there's a loft about 20 feet away and the house is an A-frame. What do you guys think about putting a new fan in there? Would like a larger span fan. Current fan is about 12 feet off the ground ceiling peak is 25 ft

Not sure how you are using it but you may want to try reversing the flow. Suck the air up and let it flow down the walls creating convection with heavy air moving light air. This seems to work best.

Yep it's how I have had it past two winters . I think it is just undersized for our volume. Open floor with loft and tall ceilings all being moved off one 52" fan just seems out gunned. Debating on doing 2 52" fans or one large 60+"

if given the choice I would say go with two - provides more options when needed

Reactions: Ghost River
The woman wants 2 with a chandelier in the middle all on the same beam. I go from replacing fan to spending 3x money when she gets involved

Reactions: D8Chumley
The woman wants 2 with a chandelier in the middle all on the same beam. I go from replacing fan to spending 3x money when she gets involved
;lol;lol just remember....happy wife....happy life. I agree, two fans would probably be better if your room is that big. I have three in an open living room, dining room and kitchen. there origionally a wall between the kitchen and dining room and each had a fan. we remodeled and pulled the wall out and opened up the floor plan making a big open "U" with the stairwell coming up the U. it helps move the air around the house and helps pull the heat up from the basement. each of the bedrooms have a fan also but aren't really needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.