CAT's clogged-fixed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I was suspicios of the wood my eldest son gathered for the stove monday. We have had daytime temps in the 60s last week so we only did a small fire monday night and last night. My wife said she had a hard time getting the wood to burn today. and when I pushed in the bypass tonight we got a whiff of wet smoke. so after watching the fire struggle for another half hour, I opened up the stove and looked at the cats. completely clogged. I am wondering how they could clog so fast but it doesn't matter because I have to tear down the stove this weekend and clean the cats. This is gonna suck. Not really what I had planned for my time.

Low pressure air like those spray cans for computers work great to blow out fly ash. If it's heavy creosote try a pipe cleaner.

Last time I tried the spray air.....there was a small log in the back of the stove still burning. FLAME THROWER> So I will wait till it is cold in the morning before I give that a try. I went outside and found some dry small splits and loaded the stove up I have the front surface temp at 500 right now with the damper bypas just a centimeter open. dry out the cresote that coated the stove in the last day or so and keep us warm tonight. Tomorrow morning I will turn the furnace on and tear the stove down Saturday morning to clean it.I would try the pipe cleaners but my stove is a first Gen cat stove and it uses 2 sets of cats. So I might get the front set clean and have the back set still clogged. Gonna have to bite the bullet and clean them properly.

Try cod liver oil. Opps ... wrong kind of Cat.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Wife had kids at soccer tonight so when I got home I tore it down. At 5:30 I was nealing down in front of the stove with my tools. At 6:01 I took a picture of the fire and sent it to my wife. I didn't soak them in viniger, just took them out, vacuumed them and blew them off. They were clogged up but not gunked up. Not a lot of carbon or creosote, just a bunch of light ash.

I get a lot of that fly ash burning Black Locust. I think it's that extra thick bark? I found about every 2 or 3 weeks I get some accumulation on my cat that I need to blow out of there. Other woods I don't seem to get that much but still check the cat about every cord or so.

I intend to check our cat today or tomorrow. Usually I find only a light coating of fly ash on the cat. Last winter I cleaned it twice (if my memory is right). I don't doubt that different woods will give different amounts of ash though.

Good to hear you got things working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.