Cconverting a non epa stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone on here did that to a stove. I think it would be beyond the skill level of a beginner. If you're a seasoned welder and have an understanding of how stoves operate, then you could probably do it. I doubt it would be worth effort.

I would love to have a 6 or 8 cubic foot epa burning stove though.

Agreed, not for an amateur. I converted a stove once, but it wasn't easy. It took a baptism by fire, 100 hail mulberries, a flue put to the screws, 30 day holly fast, cleansing beating with birch branches and reciting Gulland's Rules of Fire. I don't think I'll ever try that again. :roll:

mellow said:
It is possible, just not easy.

I would go with this. You'd need to have lived with an EPA stove for awhile to have a feel for what makes them tick, plus have looked closely at several similar models to have a feel for the common points of the designs ... plus have access to materials and to a decent metal shop and tools, plus have time for some trial and error (and the ability to enjoy same).

But if you can answer 'yes' to those points, I'd say have at it, and post pictures and results here when you're through. I'm sure you could attack wood stove design with Rocket Science (thermodynamics, chemistry, and fluid flow), but I'm equally sure that common sense, a keen eye, and good craftsmanship will get you nearly as far, and who knows... you might come up with the Next Big Thing in wood burning.

Eddy

p.s. Here's a link to a recent thread (as mentioned above) where WES999 described his secondary-air retrofit:

What Should I Do To Make My [stove] More Efficient?

Tis true - it can be done. You'll need to have some basic welding/metal fabrication equipment and experience. At least a MIG(preferably) or stick welder, plus some way to cut, drill, and grind metal. There aren't any set plans because almost every stove is different. Basically, you have to go out and look at how new stoves are made, look online, download some manuals/brochures, etc then figure out how to retrofit that system into your stove. Basically you want to pipe air from the front of the stove, across the floor, up the back wall, and distribute it to a set of pipes on top. All this needs to be insulated with at least firebrick and hopefully assembled in such a manner that repeated firings don't cause the metal to warp.

As for worth it...well, my total was $400 craigslist stove, $10 worth of scrap metal, $20 worth of firebrick to reline it, a couple weeks of spare time research/plan and a weekend in the garage cutting and grinding metal (there was also the cost of the required liquid refreshments, but I figure I'd have drank that anyway!) So now the stove puts out all the heat I could ever want, secondary flames look like a giant gas burner when they kick in and all you see coming out of the pipe are the heat waves...very little, if any smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.