CDW Sequoia FA455 Cat Cleaning and Top Reinstall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

japresto

Dec 4, 2020
North Carolina, USA
Hello all, my name is Jeff and I have been using a CDW FA455 since purchasing my home in 2009. The previous owner had installed it and used it very regularly from what I understand. I knew nothing about wood stoves when I moved in. I have since learned at least how to use it a bit through the winters here in North Carolina. I have a chimney sweep come once a year to clean out the stove and chimney. I have been relying on him to handle whatever maintenance was needed. The last time he was out was just before Thanksgiving.

The other day during a cold snap, I fired up the FA455 and things were going fine until I started getting occasional puffs of smoke coming out from around the top. After some Googling I came to the conclusion that the catalytic converter needed cleaning. With a bit of trepidation I proceeded to take 6 screws out of the top and managed to get the top off. What I found was a converter that needed cleaning and perhaps replacing and a lot of very brittle sealant/glue, some still stuck to cast iron where the sides/back/top come together and some just cracked off into pieces.

My question for you all is besides cleaning/replacing the cat converter, do I need to clean off all the old sealant and replace with new? From what I have read, the same cement used for gaskets is what I should use if necessary. I have just this year had to do some gasket work so just picked up a small tube of Rutland Hi-Temp Stove Gasket Cement. I presume the same will work for resealing the sides/back/top but instead of getting the little 3oz tube I would get something I could use in a caulk gun. If there is any trick to doing the "recementing" please send them along.

Appreciate the advice... Jeff

Moved to the main forum. This is a modern stove.