Cedar fencing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmmuellr

Nov 23, 2009
SE Michigan
I've got a friend who has a pile of cedar fencing that he's looking to get rid of. Its been down and in a barn for a few years. He says that its not treated, just standard split rail fencing.

Any reason to not cut it to length and burn it?

Thanks!
K

ETA: Lit the first fire last night, and have had one going since about noon today. Feels great!

It's worth more ( to someone who wants a split rail fence) as fence than firewood ?

Burning large amount of nominal dimension wood does seem like a bit of a waste. Maybe an alternate use could be found? Woodshed, sweater box, outdoor tool shed for your mauls and splitting tools next to your processing area? I would go with an outdoor tool box myself, I'm sick of carrying the tools from the garage to the splitting area.

Split it small and use for kindling if nothing else can work.

I think it will burn fast, since it is a nice, dry, thinly cut softwood. It would make great kindling. Be careful not to overheat the stove if you burn a lot at once.

Wood Duck said:
I think it will burn fast, since it is a nice, dry, thinly cut softwood. It would make great kindling. Be careful not to overheat the stove if you burn a lot at once.

+1 . . . sounds like you have a near life time of kindling on hand.

I see no reason to not use it but I would only use it to mix in with other firewood. Do not burn a whole load of that stuff! Probably used as fencing it would not be worth a lot to others for the same purpose. I agree that it will make excellent kindling.

When I used to saw, we one time had a rather large order for some cedar posts and rails. That was a dream because the stuff is so light! Smells good too.

I have a huge stack of thin pine lath removed from a plaster and lath wall. It is great kindling but must be used sparingly. I tried to heat my last house (with a Tarm boiler) using 2x4 cutoffs from a truss plant. You might as well plan to stand there all day just feeding and feeding and feeding. Reloading every half hour can be a pain.

Chris, old lathe is really ideal for kindling. I once had a big pile of it and would love to get more.

Status
Not open for further replies.