1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

cedar shingles and what to do

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by daveindigby, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveindigby

daveindigby New Member

Loc:
    western nova scotia canada
    The time has come to paint my house, I have cedar shingles. The nonweather sides
    have turned black(it has been around15-20yrs since there last upkeep) This black (mold?) is heavy and runs from the bottom up
    How do I clean this off? it seems to run deep into the shingle.
    I have tried a TSP wash, That really didnt work, then I tried a bleach mixture, that didnt work at all
    Should I try a pressure washer?
    On the weather sides there is hardly no black, (mold?) Im pretty sure I can scrape those sides.
    Anyone have any ideas? after I get the place "clean" what should I use for, paint? stain? primer coat?
    Thanks again, Dave

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. drewmo

drewmo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Hi Dave -

I'll be painting my parents' home in Maine this summer, and I think I'm going to find the same scenario, but maybe not to the degree you're talking. It'll be interesting to hear what others have to say. I would caution against using a power washer as that could easily rip the shingles off your home. Good luck!
  3. daveindigby

daveindigby New Member

Loc:
    western nova scotia canada
    Het jotul
    I tried the tsp and bleach neither worked. So I went for the pressure washer,
    let me tell you that worked. It kind of made a rough surface, and I will have to replace maybe one
    square over the whole house, which is ok, the washer brought me back to raw cedar.
    I got 3 months of good sun to finish the job
    What are you looking at, years of finish, like mine?
    Dave
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.