Cedar Shingle siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I have a client who has some nasty old shingles that have been painted a few times. I'm trying to convince her to do vinyl siding cedar look alike due to the cost and she wants them painted anyways. I don't know if she'll go for it though. Those of you that have done them. Do you apply home wrap and the cedar breather membrane for water run off? Watched a few you tube videos but most didn't apply the house wrap first. I think I will use 1 1/2 galvanized staples. I'm putting together two quotes for her to decide. She only want to do one side at a time because of the cost. This side is 370sq ft. Two windows and one vent near the top.

I think my approach would be determined by what kind of sheathing was on the house (will it hold a nail if you nail in somewhere between studs or ship lap) , the overhang, and if the area behind the shingle siding is heated.