You all have heard it before 'outside is the only place for my chimney'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Webby thanks. The chimney will be re-flashed soon enough. New metal roof very near in our future.
Metal roof installer was here last week for eyes one. I told him a new roof penetration was soon to happen--the
chimney for the wood stove. He said he'd rather do the roof after the stove man is done. Maybe it will be double
flashed after the metal roof is on? I spent 35 years working in a hospital. I don't know about metal roofs either :)
I just know standing seam for our little house is $14K and AG panel is $8K. Wife says go with AG panel, that it will
easily outlast us (we're both mid 60's). Use the leftover for deck rehab.

Webby thanks. The chimney will be re-flashed soon enough. New metal roof very near in our future.
Metal roof installer was here last week for eyes one. I told him a new roof penetration was soon to happen--the
chimney for the wood stove. He said he'd rather do the roof after the stove man is done. Maybe it will be double
flashed after the metal roof is on? I spent 35 years working in a hospital. I don't know about metal roofs either :)
I just know standing seam for our little house is $14K and AG panel is $8K. Wife says go with AG panel, that it will
easily outlast us (we're both mid 60's). Use the leftover for deck rehab.
We insist on coming in after the roofer. We use a particular flashing, and they typically allow the chimney to move out of plum. Not only does it look bad, you loose your clearances to the roof deck. They always want to use a rubber boot, they offer no stability to the pipe and often leak after a few years.

Reactions: bholler and Hoytman
To reduce air leakage and condensation concern have them put a trim plate on the room side of the chimney.

IMG_4180.jpg

They always want to use a rubber boot, they offer no stability to the pipe and often leak after a few years.
And those rubber boots take like a dozen screw holes in the roof.

I like that trim plate. In two halves it could be added after the install couldn't it?
I ask because until the install I don't know what all will be done/included, which is to
say I don't know how much I can ask for.

Roofer first, then your chimney installer…he’s the man to guarantee the chimney work, not the roofer.

Last edited:
Well it would be nice to switch them around (chimney installer/roofer install) but too late in the game.
Took months and months to get the chimney installer on the schedule, both for the initial accessment and
now the install. Roofers compared are a dime a dozen here. I just need to find a roofer that will respect
the chimney.

Get this flashing and have him use it. It comes with instructions attached to the bottom of it.

Webby thanks for the link. Mighty good looking chimney flashing.
So I can give this flashing to the roofer when that time comes correct?
No way to get it in time for the chimney installer.....but I could probably gt him back in
4-6 months....that's how far out he is booked.

Yes, but you may need to be on site to ensure that the roofer keeps the chimney plumb and centered in the roof deck hole so that clearance is maintained.

excel metal roof flashing ICC.jpg

Forgot to ask, on the Excel flashing, besides knowing my roof pitch, I'd be ordering the 8 inch.
My flue pipe is 6 inch Selkirk and I think the 6 is inside , so outside is 8 inches. Just making sure.