Ceiling clearence question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

westgateblvd

Feb 5, 2017
Duluth, Mn
I have question about ceiling height from the top of the stove. I have been reading all over the place about having a good 6' from the stove up. I have almost 4'. I have a pellet stove that has the pipe going straight out threw the wall behind it. Now I would have to go threw the ceiling. This is in a add on room I made. It has a wood ceiling, with lots of windows behind. I can shield the back, and the floor, but will I also have to shield the ceiling?? I also heard from reading if I find a good stove that is shielded then I shouldn't worry all that much with the back, or floor, but nothing is ever really said about the ceiling. Thanks.

I have question about ceiling height from the top of the stove. I have been reading all over the place about having a good 6' from the stove up. I have almost 4'. I have a pellet stove that has the pipe going straight out threw the wall behind it. Now I would have to go threw the ceiling. This is in a add on room I made. It has a wood ceiling, with lots of windows behind. I can shield the back, and the floor, but will I also have to shield the ceiling?? I also heard from reading if I find a good stove that is shielded then I shouldn't worry all that much with the back, or floor, but nothing is ever really said about the ceiling. Thanks.

Stove manual should give you the information of minimum distance to ceiling.

Reactions: Squisher
I will be going to a bunch of dealers. I can ask them just what I can do about this. I was just wondering if any of you had run into this same problem..

IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0648.JPG

In Canada the ceiling clearance is 84" minus the height of the stove for a certified appliance. If a unlisted appliance its 60" clearance from stove top. So in Canada worst case scenario is 5'.

Shielding can be used to reduce ceiling clearances. As I did here.

Last edited:
I know the Canadian code doesn't apply to you but just put it into the thread for info. Usually Canadian clearances are stricter if anything but certainly confirm your local requirements.

If anyone is wondering the 84" minus stove height for a listed appliance, it is because the testing 'box' that the appliance passed in is 84" to the ceiling.

Last edited:
Now I see you went out the side, unless that is a chimney behind it. I have windows behind the stove with a 1' overhang. Any way i look at it. I think I am going to run into problems. The room where the stove will sit was once the deck. I put on this room to hold a hot tub. Tub is gone, but the room is still there. glass windows go all of the way around. If I go straight out the roof after looking at all of the info The chimney might have to go up 16' to just hit the peak of the house roof. I really don't want to, but I could raise the roof..

Now I see you went threw the wall, unless that is a chimney there. Now I really don't want to raise the roof. That would be a major job. Still I see a major problem where it talks about how high to have the stove pipe. This room is attached to the main house. The peak of the house is maybe 16' above this roof.

That is an interior masonry chimney it vents into.

Ceiling clearance from stove is one issue. Height of chimney is a separate issue.

You will want atleast the min. Height the stove manual calls for for chimney. The chimney components will have certified required clearances (2" class A) and on the topside it will need to exit the roof by a minimum of 3' and be 2' higher than anything within 10'.

3-2-1 rule. Or 3-2-10 some people call it.

I see this has been moved by a mod to 'the pellet room'. You referred to a pellet stove you already have I believe. But I thought you were inquiring about a wood stove installation?

Most stoves need 84" ceiling minimum but that can be reduced for some with a ceiling heat shield. A wood stove puts more heat off the top and the flue pipe is often hotter.

Reactions: Squisher
Yes sorry 84"s in Canada too. Sorry I just woke up from a nap. I'll go back and edit my post(s).

Thanks for catching that and piping in Begreen. Usually I double check in my manuals before piping up but they're out in my truck. :(

Yes sorry 84"s in Canada too. Sorry I just woke up from a nap. I'll go back and edit my post(s).

Thanks for catching that and piping in Begreen. Usually I double check in my manuals before piping up but they're out in my truck. :(
I see this has been moved by a mod to 'the pellet room'. You referred to a pellet stove you already have I believe. But I thought you were inquiring about a wood stove installation?

I do have a pellet stove. I want to replace it with a wood stove. If a Moderator is here.. You can put this back on the wood stove thread Please.
Now if I have to put some sort of shield on the ceiling. Is there something I can put there that isn't ugly??

Umm are you saying my shields are ugly? :mad:

Lol. Just razzing yah.

There's a lot of info about shield requirements and construction if you search around on the site a bit.

Sorry for the temporary move. It was not stated initially that a wood stove is going in to replace the pellet stove. It's back now.

There are stoves that have a lower ceiling requirement. Often they will also have a convective top.

I am on break at work, and I came across a article for height requirements. Says 36" for combustible materials. I think I would still place a insulated sheet up there along with double insulated chimney pipe.

What exactly are you referring to?

There is no blanket 36" top clearance. It's 84"s minus the height of the stove. Unless the appliance is certified for lower clearances like Begreen mentioned above.

Again in Canada it's 60"s of clearance on the top for an uncertified appliance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I just don't understand destabilize do. I will have to do so easy more reading to understand the jargon.

I'm not catching the gist of that?

I am just saying that I don't understand what you are saying. I will have to look up it all means. I found out from a stove store how to measure, and what is involved with it. We may have found a stove today. I want to look up reviews on it first. All of it including the pipe, and install will come to about $4,000.

Okay. I can't find any reviews on this stove anywhere. My Wife and I are looking at a Quadra-Fire Discovery I. About $1800 for the stove, and around another $1800 for the pipe and the install. We went to two different stores. That is about all we have here. Both said we need a Medium stove. My Wife likes this one, because the wood is stored under the stove. Heat for this one is 800 - 2100 Sq. Ft. They said it would fit in our spot. Does anyone on this site own one?? Thanks

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you that I have Dyslexia, so it is kind of hard to figure things out. If I seem like I am not getting it.. I probably can't figure it out.

The Discovery I is a small stove. It needs a minimum 79" ceiling height if double-wall stove pipe is used. The Discovery II is their medium model. It has an 86.5" ceiling minimum requirement. These clearances might be permitted to be reduced if approved by the local inspecting authority.

It looks like there are a few big stove shops in Duluth. This one carries Jotul and Blaze King. http://www.energy-plus.com/
Energy Plus
4811 Miller Trunk Hwy
Duluth, MN 55811
Phone: (218) 722-7818

The Jotul F45 Greenville has a minimum ceiling height of 72" or 65" if shielded.
The Blaze King Chinook 24 has a minimum ceiling height of 72".

Reactions: CenterTree