Ceiling Creaking???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
One very interesting thing I have noticed since I have been using my new stove is my living room ceiling is creaking. Its like someone is walking around in the storage area above it. What could cause this???? The stove runs between 350-550F and I'm guessing its expansion? Only happens when the stove is going. This is really weird...Thoughts please.....

Things contract and expand due to the change in humidity.

You answered your own question. Thermal expansion/contraction. Rick

exactly...my hardwood floors do the same thing.....not bad, but if you look at the joints of the floor in the summer they are pretty tight, when the humidity is around 45 to 60 percent.....in the middle of January, when the stove has been running non-stop for 3 months and the humidity is 25 to 40 percent (and we try to humidify the house with the stove cooking), you see the floor joints get gaps...just a fact of life when yer using wood heat....won't hurt anything.....

Our house does it too. The first time the stove is lit off we get some good creaks and cracks. The old house has arthritis. I probably will too if I ever live that long.

Put a new ticker inside me, and see if I don't creak a bit.......

-Soupy1957

thats just the nails working their way outa your roof. HAHA JK

these guys got it rigt with the expansion contractions. its your stove giving birth to heat.

my stove pipe really like to tick when i start that first fire. swear there is little people in there trying to get out.

greythorn3 said:
thats just the nails working their way outa your roof. HAHA JK

these guys got it rigt with the expansion contractions. its your stove giving birth to heat.

my stove pipe really like to tick when i start that first fire. swear there is little people in there trying to get out.
lol greythorn, every fall when we first fire up the stove, my wife ask why is that stove "pinging" so much.......I tell her that is the sound of it waking up and doing it's job.....I then remind her how much she "pings" at me when I wake her up in the morning......lol...

Maybe your making it too hot for your ghosts in the attic %-P and it is really something walking around!!!

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.