Ceiling fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2014
Southern NJ
Now I was just watching TV and the energy guy says that you want your ceiling fans going clockwise or blowing upwards in the winter. I have 8 ft ceilings and when I do the opposite, the hot air blows down on me that comes from my insert. Nice and warm. Any insight is welcomed.

My guess, drawing cool air from the floor creates convection distributing heat evenly through the space. But moving air is moving air. It doesn't really matter what direction it flows. The "technical experts" may disagree but whatever works for you is best.

My guess, drawing cool air from the floor creates convection distributing heat evenly through the space. But moving air is moving air. It doesn't really matter what direction it flows. The "technical experts" may disagree but whatever works for you is best.

All I know is I stand under the fan blowing down and it's really warm.

Well there you have it. In a large space it may make a difference but it's working for you .

Three reasons for having them blow up in winter:

1. Eliminates having air blow directly on you, which has a cooling effect (very dry air = evaporation = cooling). Most people don't like feeling a breeze in January.

2. Cool air is more dense than warm, so your fan theoretically does more work at lower speed when pushing cooler air.

3. Better distribution down the walls. The heat up high is displaced by cool air coming up the center of the room. The warm air returns down around the perimeter of the room. This does the best job of keeping the room equalized by pushing warm air to cold exterior walls.

Our living room and kitchen are back to back with the stove in the LR. The LR fan blows down and the kitchen blows up. I put a fan speed control on the wall switch for the LR fan and as long as the stove is burning the moving air feels nice, depending on where the switch is set. Overall, running the fans like this does a good job of distributing the heat.
I think ceiling fans are another one of those too many variables things and there is no set standard of running them. There always seems to be some "expert" on TV or youtube that will tell you there is though.

Reactions: Ashful
Our living room and kitchen are back to back with the stove in the LR. The LR fan blows down and the kitchen blows up. I put a fan speed control on the wall switch for the LR fan and as long as the stove is burning the moving air feels nice, depending on where the switch is set. Overall, running the fans like this does a good job of distributing the heat.
I think ceiling fans are another one of those too many variables things and there is no set standard of running them. There always seems to be some "expert" on TV or youtube that will tell you there is though.
I agree, just do whatever works. Every house is different so one way for all won't work. In my home ceiling fans stay off in the winter. It messes with the convection loop.

Upon further review. ( Watching football). Clockwise does a better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.