1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Ceiling support boxes

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by rdrcr56, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdrcr56

rdrcr56 New Member

I was reading the Duravent installation instructions for the different ceiling support boxes and was curious why the round support box and the flat support box can be installed with the flat bottom flush with the finished ceiling and the square support box has to be installed with the flat bottom 2" lower than the finished ceiling?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nrmahoney@cox.net

nrmahoney@cox.net Member

I looked at the catalogue on-line and it seems that none can be flush with the ceiling.
  3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    When we talked the other day, i agree that the install guide shows it, i was baffled because the clearance to the double wall is 6 inches. With the three inch protrusion on the round and square support box, it doenst seem like it would be enough. If we dont get a answer here, i will call simpson on wed.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I thought that was the reason - the class A pipe connection needs to extend 3 inches into the roomspace before transitioning to single or double wall pipe.
  5. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    Ok, its obvious when you pull both supports out. The flat celing suport box it 14.5 inches square. the 11" catherdral box is 12 inches square. the reason the 12" box needs to be 2 inches further down is because of its size. That how far you need to be to get your 6". On the flat box, wich is bigger, 3 inches down will get you your 6" wich only leaves the collar exposed and no box exposed.
  6. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

what ever the clearance of the connector pipe is that is the that is the distance the Class A extends out of the ceiling into the room
    Remember clearances to combustiables is in all directions 18" for single wall and 6" for double wall connector pipe. If the ceiling boot is not 18" to each side the the Class a has to be extended into the room further
  7. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Sorry buddy .............Again , i couldnt help myself. ;-P

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.