cellar stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Chris, what part of mass do you live in? Im in Granby CT, literally 1/8 mile from mass.
I am not a fan of wood furnaces. I had one, the Englander 28-3500. While I will say that furnace has got to be the best lower priced forced air wood furnace in the world, wood consumption was much higher than my Drolet 1800i, as expected. The thing I dislike the most is the dust. I had a filter kit on it but still, dust still gets blown around the house on any forced hot air heating system. And that screwed with my sinuses all winter.
Now that I have a wood stove, and my houses primary heat is a oil boiler with baseboards, I have no sinus issues what so ever.
A wood boiler in your basement would cost much more than a forced air furnace, but it would be so worth it over the next umpteen years.

I live in North Central Massachusetts. Right on the New Hampshire boarder. I'll look in to an oil boiler vs. an oil furnace more. Everything that I was told about oil burners were that they were dangerous with this type of heating system because they burned at lower temps and would create creosote problems, but I'm sure they have changed a lot since the people who warned me of them had experiences with them and not they are gassification, etc. But, the price of that Englander furnace would be doable, whereas, if I increase my spending and go out and get a wood boiler, it may get me into trouble. I'll look at them though. Thanks.