cement board install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Need to replace my tub surround so while i have the old one off im going to replace the taps and install cement board since previous install did not over lap tub... With a tub surround is it really necessary to tape and mud the seams on the cement board? I could see it if i was using tile but not with a tub surround.

some tub surrounds call for installing directly onto the studs, without any backer. It depends on the company. If it does call for a backer, then I wouldn't worry about taping and mudding in the cement board.

This is a glue up surround. Previous owner did not do a good install and it cracked. Ended up with Hardi backer stuff is not cheap...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

And now i see why the other surround cracked.. The tub must have had some 70's tile board around it that previous owner did a half job of ripping out and tryed filling the 1/4 inch gap with glue. Always wondered why when i tried to mount shower doors they were always 1/2 inch to narrow..

As it is a tub surround I would remove all the old backer and replace with the Blue mold proof ply wood
lighter and easier to use . if it were tile then cement board

That stuff is only available by special order in my area.. hardi board was easy to work with. Just cleaning up the mess from previous was a pain... would have been easier just to order a 1pc tub and start from scratch

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk