Cement board on hollow core cinder blocks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bman

Aug 6, 2014
Spokane
I am going to do a cast in place (concrete over cement board) hearth on hollow core cinder blocks. My question is how do I anchor the cement board to the block? Can I just use type-s mortar or thinset even?

Not sure why the need for cement board then.

OK, I think I'm following this now. Mortar should suffice. With the weight of the concrete it isn't likely to be budging once the mortar sets up. Wet the cement board with a spray bottle before setting.

OK, I think I'm following this now. Mortar should suffice. With the weight of the concrete it isn't likely to be budging once the mortar sets up. Wet the cement board with a spray bottle before setting.
Thanks, that's what I figured too. I also thought about using landscape block adhesive to anchor the cement board possibly.

Thanks, that's what I figured too. I also thought about using landscape block adhesive to anchor the cement board possibly.
Use mortar, landscape glue could be flammable or off gas odors when they get heated

Status
Not open for further replies.