Central boiler plugged?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mbannor

Feb 12, 2022
Laporte
I have a conventional central boiler 6048 and I believe I have a creosote issue. Yesterday the stove wasn’t getting any draft and water temperatures were in the 90s so first of all I checked the door draft and that was working perfect so then I moved to the inspection cover at the rear of the unit and removed that expecting the tee to be plugged, nope so logically I assumed the chimney was plugged. Nope wrong again. Is it possible that there is a blockage somewhere between the firebox and where I can’t see a couple feet in from the back inspection cover???

How did you check the door draft damper? With a water temp of 90, it should have been open. If it is in the closed position, maybe the linkage rod is broken.

How did you check the door draft damper? With a water temp of 90, it should have been open. If it is in the closed position, maybe the linkage rod is broken.
Simply pulled off the outer cover and you can see the electrical magnetic switch. the problem which was as I figured, oddly creosote blockage where you cannot see.

Reactions: yooperdave
Simply pulled off the outer cover and you can see the electrical magnetic switch. the problem which was as I figured, oddly creosote blockage where you cannot see.

Glad you got it figured out!

I had only heard of one being plugged up from creosote wouldn't burn correctly before in my lifetime.

I used them for decades and enjoyed them immensely. But, I also would let the wood sit for at least a year before it was burned in order for it to reduce it's MC. The last couple of decades the wood was sitting up to 3 years before it hit the fires! That was some nice stuff and required a lot less wood.

The dealer that sold me the first one 30 years ago told me even before I committed to buying it, do not listen to anyone telling you you can burn green wood; it can be done but shouldn't. Good guy.

The reason I brought it up is it sounds like you may need to change your burning habits. It's a suggestion that is not meant to be offensive but that creosote only came form the firewood, right?

Make an extra cord or two than what you burn for a couple of years so you'll have left overs.....you'll see. It'll have more of a chance to dry. 👍

Definitely, firewood is the main form of creo on OWB's ::-)

Arrrggghhhhh!

Central boiler plugged?

• Haha
Reactions: brenndatomu
Why is everyone presuming I’m burning green wood, this is the only issue with creosote I’ve had in 15 years. The problem is it was a slow buildup in an area that you cannot access. Central Boiler design.

Why is everyone presuming I’m burning green wood, this is the only issue with creosote I’ve had in 15 years. The problem is it was a slow buildup in an area that you cannot access. Central Boiler design.
We weren't picking on you...I was however picking on yoop a lil bit...inside joke form another forum ::-) ::-)

Apologies to you sir. Not meant to offend and yes, I did make an assumption there. Are you in Minnesota? If so, we have the same conditions throughout the winter months. A close buddy has used central for a couple decades with no buildup problems also.

I like their simplistic design and miss not using mine. (moved and left the OWB behind)

Curious though, how long does your wood sit after it is processed before it is used? Do you keep it covered?

I am going by my personal experiences with the central since the early 90's and have never run into anything like that. Just the broken linkage rod on the draft damper once.

But.....I would also burn the discarded Christmas wrapping paper each season, while keeping a close eye on the temp readout. That would turn that stack into a torch for awhile!