1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

central boiler questions

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by 99oilburner, Nov 10, 2013.

1. 99oilburner

99oilburner Member

Loc:
    southcentral pa
    my buddy has an older central boiler he is looking to sell he bought it used from a guy and wasn't in operation since. he gave 800.00 for it and said I can have it for what he paid. Anything I should look for on the unit that would mean its not good anymore?. He said the guy he got it from filled it with water and it didn't leak but never had a fire in it. Is this a good deal or let it where its at and forget about it. Thanks Brad

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Heck of a deal if it doesn't leak....however, you should be aware there is a lot of controversy as well as legislation pertaining to the use of older (dirtier) OWB's.

Check around the net, etc. for all the stories and pending legislation...to make sure something like this will suit you.

Also, be aware that you will be burning wood at very low efficiencies - you'll be lucky if 25-30% of the actual heat value from the wood makes it into your house living area.
    woodsmaster and BoilerMan like this.
  3. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    /\
    / \
    / \
    l
    l
    l
    l