Central New Yorkers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see another CNY woman on here! I'm near Morrisville, in a 2,600 sq ft house built in 1852. We installed a Enviro Maxx last year and it was our only heat source (long story about the boiler from hell). We went through about a ton of pellets a month, and were never warmer than we were last winter. It was awesome. I guess we're considered pellet snobs because we're hooked on Curran Renewable Energy pellets (made up in the north country). We purchased those locally last year, but I found B&B Wood Pellets in Chittenango this summer. Their prices were fantastic, and they deliver for a flat fee of $25. Can't beat that. This forum has been a godsend to us and everyone is always happy to answer your questions. Best of luck to you and enjoy that stove!!

peacockrocks said:
....we're hooked on Curran Renewable Energy pellets (made up in the north country)......

You need to do some pellet testing with other brands. Curran are considered to be on the lower end of the heat output range.

imacman said:
peacockrocks said:
....we're hooked on Curran Renewable Energy pellets (made up in the north country)......

You need to do some pellet testing with other brands. Curran are considered to be on the lower end of the heat output range.

well way to burst my pellet bubble! we've got three tons of those suckers coming on tuesday. i did a lot of research last year, posted here about the brand, and thought we were making a good choice. we were a little nervous last year being first timers and all. guess this will be the winter of experimentation!

I think as long as your pellet stove is not undersized for your space, it really does not matter so much what pellet you get - as long as you can increase the feeder speed to get more heat out of the system. Meaning the lower price for one pellet brand reflects the lower BTU output per ton of pellet by and large (pleasant surprises and dissapointments excluded).

It gets more tricky, when your stove is undersized for the space you want to heat (or you are tired to fill the hopper or clean the pot), then the BTU per bag gets interesting and the pellet price vs oil or gas which would have to kick in to keep you from freezing - meaning you want max BTU/pellet you can get.

I just picked a brand last year not knowing anything about pellets, sure enough picked some average stuff....but it did save me money already and kept us warm, so you will be fine.

peacockrocks said:
imacman said:
peacockrocks said:

well way to burst my pellet bubble! we've got three tons of those suckers coming on tuesday. i did a lot of research last year, posted here about the brand, and thought we were making a good choice. we were a little nervous last year being first timers and all. guess this will be the winter of experimentation!

Your Maxx has lots of horsepower! You can get by with about any pellet. Trying whats available in your area(in your price range) can't hurt and you may just stumble upon some that will produce more heat for the buck. You might also find some that burn much cleaner which will lessen the work load as far as keeping the stove tidy.

One reason I say to keep an eye on what out there, Is that sometimes pellet brands become not available/non existent in some area's/regions for one reason or another. So its good to have a back up plan or a few brands that burn well to fall back on. Try not to get pellet blinded, just in case.

Chain said:
Welcome to the forums.....As a NORTHERN New Yorker living between Utica and Watertown, NY,

Me too.. :) Greetings from Boonville.. :)

Nancy, We used 3.5 tons last year. I suggest you try a few different kinds, one bag at a time until you find one you like, but that's just me. :)

Jafo said:
Chain said:
Welcome to the forums.....As a NORTHERN New Yorker living between Utica and Watertown, NY,

Nancy, We used 3.5 tons last year. I suggest you try a few different kinds, one bag at a time until you find one you like, but that's just me. :)

Awesome.....Greetings from Lowville!

Jafo said:
Chain said:

Booneville - you've still got snow, right? :)

I just discovered my hairdresser has a wood pellet stove (got from Lowes) and said he went thru 3 ton. I recommended this website to look info up because he's considering another stove. The one he has now holds only 40lbs, has no thermastat etc. He also vented the stove straight out and now has soot all over the side of his house. He has since vented it up as recommended here. It is nice, though, to chitchat with another "pellet heater"!

From what customers have told me the Curran Soft Wood pellets are the best out of the three and the blended are the next best. I think it all depends on the stove some times. And Hello from the north shore of Oneida Lake :)

About 1200 square feet and 3 tons about does me. Heat the whole house no oil use except for 1 week out of the heating season

Welcome, I am in the finger Lakes, the past two years I have used about 3 ton. 1500 square foot home avalon as my primary heat and a small englander as my secondary in the bedroom (keeps my wife happy). My favorite pellets are barefoot but the price per ton is a little high compared to some other brands I have purchased. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.