ceramic burn pot coating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoecat

Mar 1, 2009
northwest vermont
hello to all

it has been a long time since we had a short discussion on ceramic coatings on the burn pot.
attached are photos of a quad insert ae that i had ceramic coated a couple days ago.
the pictures on the wood are what it looked like after burning 4 1/2 tons of lg granules soft wood pellets.
the pictures on the green and white mats are after i had it sand blasted.
the pictures on the counter are after it was ceramic coated (a semi gloss black is what it looks like to me)
i am not allowed to attach more than 8 photos so i will have to do 2 more post to show all the photos.

zoecat

Attachments

• P1010044.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 428
  • P1010045.jpg
    P1010045.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 437
  • P1010046.jpg
    P1010046.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 432
  • P1010047.jpg
    P1010047.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 449
  • P1010048.jpg
    P1010048.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 413
  • P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 433
  • P1010050.jpg
    P1010050.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 440
  • P1010051.jpg
    P1010051.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 429
What is the coating?? did you do it yourself?

Wood Heat Stoves said:
how will a thin ceramic coating hold up when the pot expands and contracts?

Pretty good... they developed this stuff for use in the aerospace industry years ago. Hot rodders use it on their exhaust systems that see 900F and above... it a very durable coating. They also use a similar coating on pistons tops...

krooser said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:

Pretty good... they developed this stuff for use in the aerospace industry years ago. Hot rodders use it on their exhaust systems that see 900F and above... it a very durable coating. They also use a similar coating on pistons tops...

+1
used on motorcycle exhausts fo a while now too

krooser said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:

cool, i hope the OP keeps us posted :)

zoecat said:
hello to all

it has been a long time since we had a short discussion on ceramic coatings on the burn pot.
attached are photos of a quad insert ae that i had ceramic coated a couple days ago.
the pictures on the wood are what it looked like after burning 4 1/2 tons of lg granules soft wood pellets.
the pictures on the green and white mats are after i had it sand blasted.
the pictures on the counter are after it was ceramic coated (a semi gloss black is what it looks like to me)
i am not allowed to attach more than 8 photos so i will have to do 2 more post to show all the photos.

zoecat

I would suppose the whole interior of the firebox could be coated in this fashion too?

Status
Not open for further replies.