Certifiable nut looking for a stove (insert?) in south Alabama

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to let ya'll know that I received the 1/2" insulation blanket from the vendor yesterday. The guy was definitely a man of his word on getting it out to me. The difference between the two blankets is BIG. I'll try to remember to carry my camera to work tomorrow and get a shot of the 1/2" stuff. He also sent some more wire, tape, and mesh. The roll of mesh looks much better than the previous one while the tape and wire are basically the same. I'm happy with it. Now I'm waiting on them to get me a RMA and call-tag so I can ship the 1/4" blanket and fixin's back to them. Things are looking up. :)

Also, got some split water oak delivered yesterday so I've got some wood in the yard now. :)

Ed

Today is a great day!!! I finally have a mason here doing the chimney work. He has taken off the top two runs of brick to widen out the mouth of the chimney and has gone for mortar, sand, and bricks. He's going to top it with a 13"x13" flue tile. I'll post some pictures later. Finally getting some good progress going on getting the stove installed. Been a trip so far!!! :)

Ed

Good to hear there's finally some progress. Is the liner already in or was this holding up the works?

Keep at it and you'll get it done Ed, but you probably won't be using it much until next winter. If you'd just move north a bit, you'd have that thing cooking right now! 4-8" snow forecast for tonight here.

BeGreen said:
Good to hear there's finally some progress. Is the liner already in or was this holding up the works?

Man what a day... Figured while the mason worked and I had to keep the dogs inside that I'd slip out back and split some wood with the new splitter. Happy about the mason....but my new splitter just died 10 minutes ago!!!!<ARGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!> I posted in about it in the gear forum....

Ok Ed...breath in, exhale, breath in, exhale......

BG, the liner isn't in yet. The chimney top was too small to get the liner down. it was a 9+" x 10" flue going up *until* you get to the crown...then it was choked way down. He's opening it up to roughly a 10"x10" opening with a 13"x13" flue tile mounted on the peek. Basically he's taken out two runs of brick to where the old "flue" opened up wider...he has the tile in place and is replacing two runs of bricks now. I'll be capping it with a hinged square chimney cap from chimney liner depot. The guy doing it is the guy wanted to do it all along...the mason that didn't show was kind of a "I'll settle for him guy". This guy will/is doing it right....good reputation.

Man, that splitter is a downer, though!!!
Ed

Backwoods Savage said:
Keep at it and you'll get it done Ed, but you probably won't be using it much until next winter. If you'd just move north a bit, you'd have that thing cooking right now! 4-8" snow forecast for tonight here.
Dennis...I'm sitting sweating in a t-shirt. After the splitter I'm cooking enough, I think. For a splitter to have such a good reputation this Huskee has really been a bad experience for me so far. <sigh> BUT.....I'm getting the chimney fixed!!!!!!

Anyhow, the good ol' USofA is indeed a big place....85 down here, bees buzzing and sunshine....and snow predicted up your way. Big difference indeed!!

Ed

Ok, here is what the chimney crown looks like now...

Original crown...
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153/intheswamp00/Fireplace_20100626_5400Medium.jpg

Crown removed (2 courses of bricks under mortar)...
LonnieChimney_20110322_0094Small.jpg

Finished product with tile installed. There will be a hinged square top (13"x13") on top...
ChimneyAfterSmall.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.