CFL security light to LED lamp conversion questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
I switched my 175W mercury light to a CFL conversion bulb a few years back. It didn't work well and they warrantied 3 or 4 of 'em before just giving me my money back. (lifetime warranty...HA!)
I then put up a whole new security light assembly made to use a 65W CFL bulb. The first one worked OK until a tree branch hit it, then it burnt up soon after replacing the broken bulb.
The second new CFL light assembly only lasted 6 weeks, the vendor said to just bring it back...yes sir.

Due to wanting more lumens than the CFLs had, but with less power usage than the mercury light, I'm planning on getting a 65W E39 (mogul) base LED "corn light bulb" to install in the first CFL security light assembly (that the branch took out) The "bulb" gets wired direct to 120V so the lighting module (ballast?) in the CFL assembly will need to be removed, not a problem until I realized that takes my photo eye out too.
So I'm thinking just buy an aftermarket photoeye, no problem right? Then I see that the LED lights say "Not suitable for dimmers or electronic switches or remote controls"...that means no simple photo eye switching, right?
Can I just install a small 120V relay on the photoeye to switch the LED on/off?
Why do the simplest things always hafta turn into such a project? I'm about ready to just put the Mercury light back up...at least it was reliable!

Reactions: KC_Michael
You could use a timer, but that's not as convenient as the photo eye.

Why not replace the whole fixture? Retrofit LED bulbs work ok but they are far from order for what you are trying to use it for and I'm not sure you'll be happy with the end result.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SXB3Z64/?tag=hearthamazon-20
Because of low lumens, this one ^ ^ ^ is only 3400. I want close to double that and without going to some high dollar "commercial" light, I just haven't seen any. That's why I was thinking my LED corn light idea was a good compromise. I need to figure out if it will work with a relay on the photoeye for switching though...or another idea if someone has one...

The issue with retrofit LED though is they don't project light the same way an standard bulb does so while a retrofit may have more lumens it may have less useable light.

I may be slightly biased since I've never had anything but bad experiences with the corn type bulbs. Every one I've had burned out quickly or had multiple chips fail within a couple months.

I may be slightly biased since I've never had anything but bad experiences with the corn type bulbs. Every one I've had burned out quickly or had multiple chips fail within a couple months.
That's good to know...I thought since they are configured in a bulb shape that they would throw light in a similar way. The reliability issue was one of my concerns too...did you buy a "quality" light or a cheapy? I have been trying to decide if I want to go cheap to "try it" (might be a self fulfilling prophesy) or risk spending the big bucks on a "good" light only to be disappointed...getting closer to putting the mercury light back up...

I can't see why the add-on photoeye wouldn't work. All its doing is controlling power to the bulb right? Its either on or off like a light switch.

I can't see why the add-on photoeye wouldn't work. All its doing is controlling power to the bulb right? Its either on or off like a light switch.
I dunno, it might, but I did a little research on it and people were saying the lights weren't lasting very long using an "add on" photo eye due to the way they work, that's why I asked about using a relay on it...like I said, I dunno.
I found this "$100" LED security light assembly on clearance for $30 so I ordered that to try out...has a little more lumens than the CFL light I had up there before...supposed to cast light at a 120* angle...we'll see, the price was right and it has a 3 year warranty...better than nothing...its been awful dark out there when I leave for work!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J92SBUK/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Last edited:
I hardwired it.

Well the new light came today...(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J92SBUK/?tag=hearthamazon-20)
I had just enough time to get it put up and wired before the rain moved in...first impression...well built, seems like a pretty good bargain for $29.99 (I see Amazon has the price bumped up to $44.99 now)
Right under the light is brighter than the 65W CFL security light I had, as you move away from the light out into the yard I'd say the brightness is similar to the CFL...maybe a bit less.
If the thing actually lasts through the 3 year warranty I will be pretty happy with it all in all.