CFM Closing it's Mississauga Plant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought all wood fireplace production was in Indiana but you could be correct. Certainly they will move the sequoia production line to Indiana now if it wasn't already.

Hey, Elk.....

Brazil is America too!
Chavez is also in America.....

Anyway, the point here is that most companies today could care less about the US worker....if they can get away with having stuff made somewhere with less pollution controls and lower wages, etc. then they will. It's been a couple decades since VC did anything that is based on the old touchy-feel hippie ethic. They have been busy trying to pay the bills and add value for the next corporate entity to take them over. We can wax poetic about American jobs, but that does not even enter the discussion in most corporate HQ's.

And, taking it even one step further, we customers enjoy the lower prices, so we are also driving the move to imports.

There was another discussion here about a Pellet Plant in New England sending production over to Europe. The weak dollar makes that trade economically feasible.

I would never argue for heavy protectionism, but on the other hand I heard that the Chinese government was recently pursuing worker reforms and was talked into watering them WAY down by OUR corporations! In other words, now that our corporations are finished stepping on the workers here, they are making certain that the Chinese worker is kept on a short leash.

Hey, Elk.....

Brazil is America too!
Chavez is also in America....

I din't know they were in North America? I must have missed something in College, when I was getting my history degree

Unfortunately Craig I agree we are to blame for where we shop like Walmart We encourage cheap labor by our buying habits.
Note, I said my next stove may be an Englander in my familly room.

Hard to support the DW 2500 cheap a** welding and lack of suport

It's too bad, I was on VC's site and really like the aesthetics and performance specifications of their stoves. Every time I turn around though there are reasons to avoid the entire brand.

First off the DW2500 is essentially a Century stove witha cast iron door. Only the door is cast in the Vermont Facility.

Also sine the latest take over 2003 there has been few if any complaints with the cat line of VC. Complaints came from the everburn technology.

Though that seems to have been addressed. Actually other companies employing similar technology as the ever burn also are having heat related problems.

On of VC fixes was to strenghten the castings and adding thickness to the heat related areas. When one thinks of it really there is a small % of complaints when one factors in they manufacture 50,000 stoves a year.

IT seems when there is a complaint it really gets aired out here. But not too much mention of the millions of satisfied comsumers just heating their homes

Maybe whe should start a poll to see how many want to PUT VC out of business. Might as well eliminate the last North American stove casting plant and their workers. All 360 or more
that will join the unemployment lines and collect

All this restructuring is not a good sign. It means that CFM is having troubles as is the industry as well.

Maybe to re-phrase the question is the industry better without Vc to kick around?

If the mark of quality is not seeing complaints on hearth.com then Vogelzang wins the quality race hands down. In the two years I have watched the forum I have not seen one actual quality complaint about a VZ stove. Only pot shots from people that have never owned them. :mad:

On the other hand, I have seen various and sundry quality issues brought up for virtually every other brand. Including the ones I burn in.

Vermont castings is not going anywhere. They have made tremendous strides in the past few years. I feel more positive about VC/majestic than I have in years. There have been product issues but they have not been designed by the new team of designers. I have known the new head of design/ product development for many years. (We both had fathers that started wood/coal stove distribution companies in the 70's) Give him some time we are on a good track.

Status
Not open for further replies.