1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chain P/N help.

Post in 'The Gear' started by HJsimpson, Dec 16, 2012.

1. HJsimpson

HJsimpson Burning Hunk

Loc:
    NE Indiana
    Good morning everyone.

Ok here is my question. I am looking for some new chains for my 028 which is 74 links .325 pitch and .063 guage. Most of the stuff i cut is already down and tops and can be a little dirty.

Currently Im cutting about 80% ash with the rest being walnut, elm and other softwoods. I really like the Stihl brand chains but confused on the p/n for what i need. I believe im looking for a semi chisel since the wood could be a little dirty but would like a full chisel for the small amount of clean wood i do get.

Any help or recommendation would be great.

The reason for new chains is during my training period for hand sharpening I kinda got my current chains all outa wack.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    You have all the info needed , #drive links, Pitch, and gauge. I do not trust MFG part numbers- too easy for J schmuck to toss the wrong item the bin. As to the general question posted the semi chisel will do all you need, A full chisel is not really something you need to accomplish your goal. Want, of course is another area. With the 3 pieces of info you already have you should be able find chains local. Sorry I am not an advocate of any particular brand over another, I cut a lot of wood ( 98% hardwood) every year all I use is semi chisel. Never noted much difference in full chisel other than dulling out faster. Note that you can order on line as well but by the time the shipping & handling charges get added on it could cost more than local purchase or at least as much as.
  3. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
  4. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Chains out of wack? Have them professionally sharpened, or have a friend who knows what he's doing have a go at it.

Stihl chains (reference):

RS = full-chisel (RS3 = low kickback version)

That would be: 26RS-74 (26RS3-74)

RM = semi-chisel (RM3 = low kickback verson)

That would be: 26RM-74 (26RM3-74)

NOTE: Late model Stihl chains had a "C" in their numbering system, so that gave us RSC, RSC3, RMC and RMC3. This past year Stihl dropped the "C" from their numbering system to give us the models I first mentioned in this post.
    MasterMech likes this.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    This may help
    STIHL Saw Chain chartA.jpg
  6. HJsimpson

HJsimpson Burning Hunk

Loc:
    NE Indiana
    Thats what i was looking for, thanks guys.
    At $11 dollars each to have sharpened ill just keep for the extra dirty wood. Besides 2 of them was "professionally" sharpened once before and they took off way to much and removed almost all of the rakers because they aid it cut faster that way.
    I just wanted some new chain now that i finally can put a good edge on one with a file.
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Oregon makes nearly all OEM branded bars/chains. ;)
    Except Stihl. The only OEM to make their own cutting tackle.

IME Stihl chain is superior to Oregon. Oregon is not a bad product by any means but until the Stihl stuff becomes cost-prohibitive (and has not been to-date) I'm still recommending/using Stihl chain on any brand of saw.
    Word on the street is that Carlton makes some good semi-chisel chain as well, can usually be found at smaller independent small-engine shops and hardware stores.

Someone is begging to get their ass handed to them in a lawsuit.
    osagebow likes this.
  8. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Oregon & Carlton have the same parent Company.
    http://blount.com/ :
    " Blount Inc. produces saw chains, bars and sprockets that are well respected in the chain saw and forestry industries and outdoor equipment accessories and parts for the garden and landscape industry. Blount
    these products under the brand names OREGON® and Carlton®."

blount.jpg
    MasterMech likes this.
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Interesting.... Learn something new every day.