Chain saw annoyance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Kuhn

Dec 29, 2017
Wisconsin
I really like most things about my Stihl MS261, but every once in awhile it ticks me off. The worst feature on it is the stupid complex "flippy caps" for gas and oil. The caps contain some kind of complex mechanism so they can be opened with a half turn. But every once in awhile, in spite of my best effort, the oil cap doesn't quite latch even by all appearances it is, and then as I pick up the saw and walk to where I'm going to cut, the cap comes off and dumps bar oil all over my leg. My saw is probably five years old, and I don't know if that's how they still do the caps, but I think a plain old screw off cap would be the hot setup.

Reactions: GadDummit
I have the same saw. They still make 'em like that.
I've been turning the cap backwards until it pops in, then forward lately. Seems to be working. can't count the times i've had oil all over my leg.

Reactions: CincyBurner
I like the flippy caps, despite once in a long while the mechanism getting out of synch. They save fumbling for the screech tool, or looking for a lost cap, especially in the dark or in leaves (It would probably be a good idea to carry a spare cap when out cutting).
As GadDummit suggested, just twist the cap until it pops back in place.

Reactions: TreePointer
I own two Stihls and one Husqvarna, and everything is better about the Stihls, except one thing: the fuel and oil caps. The Husqvarna caps have an o-ring, and just screw into a counter-bored hole. They seal without even having to be tight, no scrench needed.

Of course, being Husqvarna, they made them too small to fit the filler neck of a No-Spil can. Stupid.

My Stihls are the older cap style, no oil on my leg, ever. But they do require a scrench to loosen.

I own two Stihls and one Husqvarna, and everything is better about the Stihls, except one thing: the fuel and oil caps. The Husqvarna caps have an o-ring, and just screw into a counter-bored hole. They seal without even having to be tight, no scrench needed.

Of course, being Husqvarna, they made them too small to fit the filler neck of a No-Spil can. Stupid.

My Stihls are the older cap style, no oil on my leg, ever. But they do require a scrench to loosen.

I like the idea of the o-ring seal. Regarding losing the cap, they could make the screw cap with o-ring and also a plastic tether, like many cars have, would probably cost less than the ridiculous complex flippy cap mechanism. Glad to know I'm not the only one that gets oil on my leg occasionally. I don't understand why they haven't gotten a ton of complaints about the current cap, and done away with it. Guess I shouldn't complain, as I haven't passed on to them my own dissatisfaction about it.

I didn't know you had an MS261, same here! I got mine in March this year. So far I've had good luck with the gas and oil caps. The caps only go in one way and when they tighten the two marks will line up. It is weird however that the gas and oil caps go in at different rotation points and end at different rotation points. I think the oil one ends at 6 o'clock and the gas one is 4 or 5 o'clock.

I didn't know you had an MS261, same here! I got mine in March this year. So far I've had good luck with the gas and oil caps. The caps only go in one way and when they tighten the two marks will line up. It is weird however that the gas and oil caps go in at different rotation points and end at different rotation points. I think the oil one ends at 6 o'clock and the gas one is 4 or 5 o'clock.
Yes, not very intuitive. Haven't seen the marks, have just been seating the caps where they sit the lowest, then turning to the stops. Will have to check for the marks.

Flippy caps just another marketing invention to help sell saws, but in the real world they are a failure. However it would probably look bad for Stihl if they suddenly went back to traditional caps. So I guess they figure the numerous complaints are worth not admitting the flip caps suck. That and well they don’t have any problems selling new saws.

If a person wants a cap that is tool less just don’t over tighten them. Not that hard to figure out.

Not that I'm happy that you got oil on your pants, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. You're right, every once in a while the oil cap just doesn't want to go on, or you think it's on but it's not tight. Never had the issue with the fuel cap, only the oil cap. I've got a 250 and a 271 and they both have those caps. When they're working well I love them, just once in a while it can be aggravating.

Flippy caps...
Just have to be smarter then them.>>

Agree with this. If the caps are clean, and in good working order, I don't see the issue. Once you get used to them, they're the best thing going, but you need to know how to use them.

Not that I'm happy that you got oil on your pants, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. You're right, every once in a while the oil cap just doesn't want to go on, or you think it's on but it's not tight. Never had the issue with the fuel cap, only the oil cap. I've got a 250 and a 271 and they both have those caps. When they're working well I love them, just once in a while it can be aggravating.
The only time i have had an issue is when i have filled the oil tank to full.Pushing the cap into a full oil tank will make a mess and i guess could allow you to not get the cap on right.
Still an easy system to figure out install cap in proper location, push into hole, twist lock, start saw,cut wood,stay warm.

The only time i have had an issue is when i have filled the oil tank to full.Pushing the cap into a full oil tank will make a mess and i guess could allow you to not get the cap on right.
Still an easy system to figure out install cap in proper location, push into hole, twist lock, start saw,cut wood,stay warm.

I've done the overfill as well, squishing some oil out, and agree that it could prevent proper latching, but that definitely wasn't the case this last time...

Here are some pics of a new MS261. I'm curious if yours looks the same.

Attachments

• caps1.jpg
    caps1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 191
  • caps2.jpg
    caps2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 180
  • caps3.jpg
    caps3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 171
Here are some pics of a new MS261. I'm curious if yours looks the same.
Looks like on your new saw they added the black reference marks, probably makes it easier to get the alignment right. Otherwise, cap positions are same as mine.

Nary a problem with the flippy caps on mine...several years and running now.

Reactions: MissMac and JimBear
You may not have this issue with the caps, as it was a problem many years ago. As I recall with my 260, the claim was the material the cap was made with reacted with the oil and gas. Swelled up which made the inner moving parts hard to turn. After a few years they were almost impossible to get back on. I believe they replaced them for free. I waited to long and had to buy mine. The new ones where cheep as they must have know this would piss everone off. They worked much better. still on my saw today. Occasionally I get mine turned wrong and have to work to get it closed.

I like the idea of orientation lines.

I have three Stihls: MS-440 Magnum, MS-362CM and a very nice starting MS-180. The two big ones come with the flippy caps; the -180 has the screw in types. I much prefer the flippy caps, never require a tool to open nor ever come free or leak.

Reactions: salecker
Guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.
I had two Echo chainsaws before my Stihl, both with screw caps. Never needed a tool, never leaked, never got lost, and never required careful installation....

Started with a Stihl, the cap gell apart, dealer gave me nrw ones for free.
Traded the small Stihl foe a bigger husky.
Currently only run my Echo's, flippy caps are for the birds

I also learned the hard way to double check the caps before picking the saw up. I do find them a lot easier to work with while I have gloves on, maybe this is their purpose. Also they will not vibrate loose, I have seen the cap on my chipper vibrate loose if not real tight.