1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Chain saw shopping

Post in 'The Gear' started by Mrs. Krabappel, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTYank

CTYank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW CT
    You might want to look at factory refurb of same saw at VMInnovations dot com for $226. Got a refurb 455r from them for $306 f.o.b. my door, w/new b&c. Would repeat in a heartbeat. Your $, your call.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. klustgarten

klustgarten New Member

Loc:
    W.V.
    Either the Stihl or the Husky that were recommended multiple times will work great for you. I have the Husky because that is what I can get the best service for where I live. Both saws are good so let the matter of local quality service be the deciding factor.
  3. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I can recommend no saws in the $300 range - unless you find something used - and that's a crapshoot too.
  4. WoodNStuff

WoodNStuff Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Good service!
  5. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Principality of Pontinha
    I waste a lot of time compulsively shopping before a purchase so I "knew" all the garbage like power/weight and "don't buy too big/small a saw" and "What you really want is 10 saws for each species of tree you may encounter. Get a trailer and a guide for the woods". I eventually burned myself out and just bought a chainsaw that cuts wood. I cut around 2-3 cord per year, mostly oak. I didn't want used because I wouldn't know if something was screwed up or in dangerous condition. I went to Stihl because they were about 1/2 mile closer than Husky and I wanted the real thing, not a big box knock off (one of my anti-corporate funks). I walked in, told the guy what I needed to do (actually I said 5 cord/year) and he recommended 250-290. I picked up the 250 and then the 290, then went back to the 250 and walked to the counter to buy. It felt right. The 290 seemed a lot heavier and I wasn't planning on going to a larger bar. I figured with a 16" saw I could fell anything I needed to cut on my property.

I have to say it was disappointing the first time I used it. It didn't cut any faster than my old homelite (that incidentally was stuck in a tree, the reason I was chainsaw shopping that day). I figured oh well, I should've bought the bigger one. Then I read about safety chains.......... The safety chain is now my dirty wood chain. With the more aggressive chain the saw cuts much faster but any kickback is not overpowering. If I bury it I can bog it down but then you just let up and she keeps on going. With a real sharp chain the chips fill up quick. Very happy with it. I think auto-decompression would be nice on a larger saw but its pretty easy to start as long as you don't flood it. Once in a while I find an MS260 pro on Craigslist but I'd have to cut more wood if I bought it. A longer bar would be nice but I'm not out there day after day. 2 hours with that saw will give me 4-10 hours of splitting/stacking and hauling brush.
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Somebody has a good head for the OPE business in the 21st century.
  7. wrxtance

wrxtance Member

Loc:
    NW CT
    +1 Love my refurb 445! Really a great saw and the refurb looked brand new (though the chain did need to be sharpened out of the box).
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    k, not trying to start a saw war (stihl vs. husky)...but, the husky i bought back in 84 is still going strong and is the only chain saw i have had....ever. either of those 2 brands should be a good choice
  9. MarkinNC

MarkinNC Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Leicester, NC
  10. mrfjsf

mrfjsf Member

Loc:
    Wash. Pa
    If I had around $300 to spend, I would probably go for the 445 husq. Its a decent bang for the buck. As others have said, try to buy from a dealer.
  11. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    So lovely of you to join us today Redd ;-)
  12. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    You would love running a Dolmar 420. Very solid 42 cc saw that cuts like a much bigger saw. Pro-quality build, high-revving little beast with plenty of torque, but smooth as butter in the cut. Easy to pull, and it starts third pull every time. About $300.
  13. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Principality of Pontinha
    I've still got a '70s Homelite that runs brand new. Bad part is its hard to start and has no safety features. Can't get real parts for it and is as heavy as a cinderblock.
  14. WoodNStuff

Loc:
    South Central WI
    At least it cuts better than a cinder block. LOL. I would need a chain brake!!
  15. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Principality of Pontinha
    There's also no vibration isolation. It will shake the fillings out of your teeth.
  16. WoodNStuff

Loc:
    South Central WI
    Need that too. Come to think of it. I also need a machine that grabs my chainsaw and bucks out my logs to 16". LOL. Now that would be the chainsaw. Then again after the novelty wore off, I'd be completely bored with it. I love C/S/S.
  17. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Just trying to help
  18. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    I run a Stihl Farmboss most of the time. I really like it.

But more importantly:

Whatever saw you go with, do this one thing. Learn how to operate it safely and skillfully from someone who has used one for many, many years. And knows how to do it safely. Take your time, make sure you where protective equipment at all times. A pair of Chaps, Safety glasses, good heavy boots, etc.

It does not matter what size or type of saw you are using, they can all hurt you bad.

Sorry about the rant, don't want to see you get hurt.

Good luck with your new saw. They are a great tool, just need to be respected, like anything else that is dangerous.
  19. MarkinNC

MarkinNC Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Leicester, NC
  20. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I have two of the little 142 saws and love'em but list price on them brand new was only $199.
  21. Creekyphil

Creekyphil New Member

Loc:
    Eastern MA - South Shore
    +1
  22. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

That's like 27 years!! :wow:

Prolly best at this point to NOT get yer hands on a Stihl . . . the thought of how you wasted those 27 years will just make you sick :lol: :lol:

AnyWho, Kathleen, Get the Auntie to just kick in $300 toward the saw ya really want
    [​IMG]
  23. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    That is so funny....thanks for the chuckle JImbo
  24. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    I'm very happy with my Dolmar 510 - three years old and I've gone through about 20 cord. Fairly light and has good power. Cheers!
  25. 'bert

'bert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
    +1 on the MS250 - nice saw.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.