Chain Sharpener - Anyone used one of these?? Work good enough??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after reading many tidbits about the pros and cons of cheap chainsaw sharpeners, I opened up my HF unit. I looked it over more closely and decided that I just want something a little better than it. Blains Farm and Fleet had the Timber Tuff Chainsaw Chain Sharpener for $109.99, on sale from $139.89. So, I picked it up. It's the same model that the store's small engine shop uses to sharpen chains. I had one chain sharpened by their shop and it was good.

Attachments

• Timber TUFF Chainsaw Chain Sharpener.jpg
    Timber TUFF Chainsaw Chain Sharpener.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 258
Seems simple enough and Thats a good thing.

I think that is the same unit as the Northern tool one (just got mine) but that was a good buy with no shipping, seen one yesterday at a store here and they had the 139 price tag on it, keep us posted on the results, I hope to sharpen a chain this weekend (old one first). Not sure about the angles listed in the manual so will use 30 instead of 25 and 90 instead of the 10.

oldspark said:
I think that is the same unit as the Northern tool one (just got mine) but that was a good buy with no shipping, seen one yesterday at a store here and they had the 139 price tag on it, keep us posted on the results, I hope to sharpen a chain this weekend (old one first). Not sure about the angles listed in the manual so will use 30 instead of 25 and 90 instead of the 10.

Keep you posted. Will have to sharpen real soon; all my chains are dull.

I finally broke down and bought the Northern Tool model for $119 plus shipping . . . hoping that it works well . . . and sadly (since I am giving up on hand sharpening since I still have not learned how to do it well) I'll be turning in my "real man" membership card. :)

firefighterjake said:
I finally broke down and bought the Northern Tool model for $119 plus shipping . . . hoping that it works well . . . and sadly (since I am giving up on hand sharpening since I still have not learned how to do it well) I'll be turning in my "real man" membership card. :)

I didnt....But really they both come into play.

Since when do power tools disqualify you for "real man"hood? Now, if you pay someone else to sharpen them, then turn in the card. ;-P

firefighterjake said:

Jake - there is no lost face in using a tool that makes you work smarter, not harder. I have been using a grinder for years (yeah, the original cheapo, "Nick the Grinder"). I don't know too many people that in my presence would say that I'm "Not a real man". I doubt if they would do it a second time, anyhow. Fer cripes sake - your a Fireman. That alone gets you a few hundred bonus points.

Jags said:
firefighterjake said:

Jake - there is no lost face in using a tool that makes you work smarter, not harder. I have been using a grinder for years (yeah, the original cheapo, "Nick the Grinder"). I don't know too many people that in my presence would say that I'm "Not a real man". I doubt if they would do it a second time, anyhow. Fer cripes sake - your a Fireman. That alone gets you a few hundred bonus points.

But not a real firefighter . . . I just play one on TV. ;) :)

. . . and for the record . . . I still wish I could have mastered how to file my hand . . . again . . . I've been shown many times by competent guys and understand what needs to be done . . . but for some reason it never works for me.

firefighterjake said:
Jags said:
firefighterjake said:

But not a real firefighter . . . I just play one on TV. ;) :)

. . . and for the record . . . I still wish I could have mastered how to file my hand . . . again . . . I've been shown many times by competent guys and understand what needs to be done . . . but for some reason it never works for me.

Try the one that just holds the file with degree mark. After some time on the grinder, tt will seem pretty silly why you could not get it. It took me a few years.

So far I am liking my Northern sharpener, the chains seem to be fairly sharp and I did a beat up one and it came out ok, I am sure I will get better but so far so good.

oldspark said:
So far I am liking my Northern sharpener, the chains seem to be fairly sharp and I did a beat up one and it came out ok, I am sure I will get better but so far so good.

Hey, oldspark. Glad the Northern sharpener works for you. My Timber Tuff that I got from my local Blain's Farm & Fleet works nice. I sharpened my first chain with it last night. You know, it's the first time I've used a grinder type sharpener. Used hand files in the past.

Well, after sharpening, I remounted it on the bar, took it outside, and gave it go. It blazed through American Elm like it was cutting butter. I was very impressed by how much a difference the grinder made. And how quickly I could sharpen a chain, even being a newbie.

I have a few questions about grinding that I'm going to try posting later when I have time.

Haven't set up or tried my Northern Hydraulics sharpener yet . . . I need to dull some chains first . . . maybe I'll go out and just run a few into the ground. ;) I will say I was impressed with the speed of delivery though . . . ordered on Friday afternoon and it arrived Tuesday afternoon . . . I expected it to arrive later in the week.

firefighterjake said:
Haven't set up or tried my Northern Hydraulics sharpener yet . . . I need to dull some chains first . . . maybe I'll go out and just run a few into the ground. ;) I will say I was impressed with the speed of delivery though . . . ordered on Friday afternoon and it arrived Tuesday afternoon . . . I expected it to arrive later in the week.

Wow! That is fast. When you've tried out your sharpener, post a bit about it.

WoodNStuff said:
firefighterjake said:

Will do . . . funny thing is I stopped off at the local shop the other day and they've pretty much bought the same thing . . . guy said they are now sharpening so many chains that they're switching from hand filing to using this.

firefighterjake said:
WoodNStuff said:
firefighterjake said:

Will do . . . funny thing is I stopped off at the local shop the other day and they've pretty much bought the same thing . . . guy said they are now sharpening so many chains that they're switching from hand filing to using this.

Sounds like you could be thinking about a viable chainsaw sharpening business.

Status
Not open for further replies.