First year heating with a Jotul 602CB v2 - a newbie experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Have that chimney inspected.
Called the chimney sweep this morning, waiting on a callback. I agree, it was scary. I definitely loaded it too hot. The crazy draft doesn't help. After an inspection and cleaning I'm going to look into a damper. I feel like that's a cleaner solution than a mod to the actual stove intake.

I appreciate that advice! It's a pretty tall chimney, I'd have to get the specific length of pipe but I have high vaulted ceilings, all that good stuff. I feel like the draft is too strong, you're right. I actually ran into a runaway last night that was scary. I feel like I burnt off all the crud in the chimney, lol. Had embers coming out of the top, seemed like a minor chimney fire. I am going to have to reevaluate and get somebody out to check things out.

Thanks again all!
Sorry, that reply was directed at @rocky99

Alright, chimney sweep came out and said everything looked okay! Figured I burnt out any creosote but no damage, so that's a relief! Going to have to be careful next time to not let the fire runaway on me.

Next up - splitting more stuff and stacking. I need to make sure my stuff is burnable. Lessons learned...

Been a bit since my last post - apologies if I should actually start splitting into different posts, but didn't want to flood the forums and wanted to give a bit of an update here.

Well, I got super comfortable with the stove since and really have been making some great progress. Really drying out some wood, built a bit of a kiln rig that works to really get my "semi-seasoned" stuff to drop to really nice and burnable percentages.

Then BOOM, we get hit with a heck of a storm and a huge ole' pine comes and just about misses the house (photo attached). Thank goodness for the trees it leaned on. Some of the large branches leaned up on the chimney there and forced some water through the stack. Originally, I thought I had a bigger problem, but the father in law had a good point (I love my FIL but still hate to admit it!)... I originally thought the tree dislodged some of the pipe and caused a leak. Everything looked okay, except for those branches just hanging into the stack. We're thinking it forced some moisture in and it got through and caused a bit of a mess on the top of the stove. Had some folks come out today to get that tree taken care of and they had to take down an oak with it to get the pine down. It's pine, so not amazing, but I had the guys leave the stuff for me to season up and maybe use for next year beyond to supplement.

Overall, a bit of an adventure, but when there's some wood at the end of it, I can't say I can be too angry when all said and done especially since nobody was hurt and nothing was damaged. Hope everyone has been well and everybody has a fantastic holiday!

Screenshot_2.jpg 1000003591.jpg

Reactions: Todd
That wind can easily drive rain under the cap into your chimney pipe. Happens to me a few times a year here on the jersey coast.

Reactions: kborndale
That wind can easily drive rain under the cap into your chimney pipe. Happens to me a few times a year here on the jersey coast.
Sheesh, I mean it makes sense, but I bet the dripping wet branches basically leaning on the cap doesn't help either! Hope you weren't impacted by the recent storm. I haven't had wind or flooding like that in a long time!

Sheesh, I mean it makes sense, but I bet the dripping wet branches basically leaning on the cap doesn't help either! Hope you weren't impacted by the recent storm. I haven't had wind or flooding like that in a long time!
Yup could have easily channeled more rain water in.

All good with that storm. Had fire going the whole time boiling out any rain that tried to blow down the chimney.

Last edited:
Yup could have easily channeled more rain water in.

All good with that storm. Had fire going to whole time boiling out any rain that tried to blow down the chimney.
Great news there, glad all is good. Bet there was a heck of a draft!

Unfortunate turn or events... mild rain storm and still a dang leak. Attached a photo. Stove install is almost 2 years old and never had a leak until now. Wondering if that tree fall had anything to do with it... no negative pressure issue and smoke goes out the stack like usual. Chimney sweep said no issues spotted... I'm at a loss. I have another chimney inspector on deck to take a look but every rain storm it seems I get a new rust spot on my stove!

20231218_081041.jpg

From the photo it looks possibly possible that from a step ladder you could get a closer look at it?? Not saying the sweep is wrong, but I'd want to have a second look around the base of the flashing boot for any sign of disturbance, as well as around the top edge of the storm collar. I don't know if you're supposed to but on mine I used a roofing caulk to seal the collar to the pipe. I also caulked the vertical seam of the chimney pipe, I suppose it's possible that seam on yours could have developed a breach when the limb(s) bumped it.

Reactions: bigealta
Agreed. I would go up, clean off the old sealant around the storm collar and put on a fresh bead using a good silicone adhesive sealant.

Reactions: bigealta and Todd
Thank you both for the advice! I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow and see if I can do what you suggested. Will keep you posted, really appreciate the help!

Well, I went up to take a closer look and couldn't see too much on the storm collar (my roof is steeeeep), but I did decide to check the inside a bit more and to my surprise... the inspector I called did not even reconnect the double insulated flue pipe properly! Like, screws were missing and/or not screwed into anything. Well, perhaps not the cause of a leak but definitely was an issue and probably the cause of some rattling I've been hearing when cold starting! I'm sure I can get somebody reputable out to take a look up on the roof and see if there was any sealant issues or try to get a taller ladder.

As far as the disconnected flue pipe... I called the inspector, basically said my chimney was left disconnected from an inspection, and wanted to talk to somebody about it to get it resolved. Afterwards, and this was my mistake and this issue has certainly gotten worse over the years I think, I went to check reviews of the inspection place and little did I know most of them were fake or paid for 5 star reviews. All the seemingly legit reviews were 1 star. No in between. Got burned it seems, and I don't even want these people to come back even to "fix" the problem.

So, we'll see. For now going to take it easy on fires. The disconnected pipe looks like an easy fix that even I can do (can edit with pics), but I did tell myself I wouldn't really mess with the stove and leave it to a professional. Now I know how that can go sometimes when you don't do your due diligence. Any advice or comments are appreciated, really feeling bummed about this turn of events.

Thanks again all!

Well, some good news finally... After a bout of covid I finally got around to getting this chimney taken care of. Heck of a storm came through this past week (Northeast US neighbors can relate) and really got that leak in the flashing going.

Yesterday, had a different company come take a look. Holy cow, the difference was astounding. What a great company. The guy came in, said hey if there was any sealant on the flashing, I don't see it. He said he'd get his team to come out, seal that up, and install some sort of water diverter to make sure any water coming in gets diverted to the gutters. Seems like a great solution to me.

Although, he said not to worry about the insulated pipe not being connected on two screw spots on the inside and that it was probably due to making it easier to clean out. Not sure how that works, but we'll see. Maybe making it easier to move makes it easier to slide out.

Anyway, I was also able to get out and cut some of that tree that came down during a previous storm (post above). Built an attachment onto my wood shed with a tarp to start getting some of these rounds seasoned. I'll have to post some pics. I was able to use some scrap pallets, posts, etc. to build a little "seasoning section".

That's unfortunately what I suspected. I'm glad you got a good person to come out and fix it. Cold weather's a comin.

Reactions: djlew
Well, some more good news at least. Had this new company I have been dealing with come out and install the water diverter and seal up the flashing. Really a pleasure to deal with this company. They did a great job from the looks of it, but after yesterday's rain there is a still a tiny bit of a leak and a good amount of rattle on a cold start in the flue piping.

The company is going to get me back on the schedule to see what else could be going on, if not just some water making it into the stack some other way. The difference in dealing with this took a complete shift. It's an annoying thing to deal with, but with a pleasant company helping out it really makes all the difference.

Just a funny anecdote - I asked this new company if they heard of the previous company I was dealing with. They had no idea who they were which was kind of funny considering they are pretty local and I figured all the players in this profession would at least know of each other within a reasonable radius. Their inspections are much much cheaper too! Live and learn..

Reactions: Todd
They did a great job from the looks of it, but after yesterday's rain there is a still a tiny bit of a leak and a good amount of rattle on a cold start in the flue piping.
It's good to hear the company did a better job.

Describe the rattle. Does it sound a bit like rain inside the stovepipe?

It's good to hear the company did a better job.

Describe the rattle. Does it sound a bit like rain inside the stovepipe?
Thanks! The company is coming back out tomorrow to see what else can be done about the leak. Still leaking, but hey I am really happy with them trying to figure out what is going on.

Honestly, it is hard to explain. To me, on a cold start, it sounds like if you were to light a piece of wood, it combusts, and almost explodes into the stove pipe. Like a slight crack. Not sure if that makes sense at all, but I wouldn't say it's like rain in the stovepipe unless that sounds like wood catching.

The way I would describe it is like when you cold start, you get your kindling in, and when you start to hear the crackle, that's what it sounds like throughout the stovepipe until it gets warmed up, with stove top temps around 300-400F. After that, no crackle. I hope that's a better description.

when you cold start, you get your kindling in, and when you start to hear the crackle, that's what it sounds like throughout the stovepipe until it gets warmed up, with stove top temps around 300-400F. After that, no crackle
Sounds like heat expansion of the metal flue pipe.

Sounds like heat expansion of the metal flue pipe.
Genuine newbie question, is that normal? The only reason I ask is because the first year and change I haven't heard a peep from the pipe at all. Then, a branch brushes the chimney in a storm and a chimney sweep (not a good one IMO) comes out and says everything is fine and cleans out the firebox, takes a phone video of the chimney and says good to go (not much more it seems) and sends me on my way. Then the leak, yada yada. My instinct is it's all related but can't relay relevant info other than what I say here to the new company and it sounds like I'm crazy at times, lol. Thanks again for the input!

It's what it sounds like to me. You said it stops when it heats up.....
Thin enclosed metals make a pinging sound when heated from cold.

It's what it sounds like to me. You said it stops when it heats up.....
Thin enclosed metals make a pinging sound when heated from cold.
I hear ya, just seems strange that I go from a long time of not hearing anything to some things happening and now I get some pings. If that's kind of a normal thing as time goes on, then all good. Doesn't seem to impede my ability to get a good fire going.