Chainsaw Bar Groove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
What is the tool called or what is everyone use when cleaning out the dirt from the groove on the chainsaw bar.

Zap

I use a screw driver and air hose. and make the nose sprocket whisle.

smokinjay said:

Must be a small one.

Thanks
Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Must be a small one.

Thanks
Zap

I have big bar! lol what ever you can get in there and then I go back with the air hose at 120psi and make that sprocket sing for a few seconds.

My pack-sack has a small screwdriver in it that I use for carb adjustments and it is small enough to fit in the groove. I start at the nose and work back from there so I don't pull dirt into the sprocket.

Be careful with compressed air around the sprocket nose. You could drive dirt down into the roller bearings.

LLigetfa said:
My pack-sack has a small screwdriver in it that I use for carb adjustments and it is small enough to fit in the groove. I start at the nose and work back from there so I don't pull dirt into the sprocket.

Be careful with compressed air around the sprocket nose. You could drive dirt down into the roller bearings.

I clean it first like you mention then blow the sprocket. As much as I run these things its working well...I have had the sprockets not want to move before real tight (I check them by hand first) thats a problem. I will give them a small shot of the wd-40 and hit them again...not offten and usally after some really dirty wood. My 41in, hard nose bar takes a littile more time,

I ground the screwdriver end of my bar tool flat and put a hook on one side to clean it out. It still works to tighten the chain adjuster. That way I have all I need right with me and not have to carry a extra tool.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
I ground the screwdriver end of my bar tool flat and put a hook on one side to clean it out. It still works to tighten the chain adjuster. That way I have all I need right with me and not have to carry a extra tool.

Billy

Thanks Billy, I'll be grinding on the fishing reel on Friday for some WALLEYE! :coolsmile:

Zap

Sounds great Zap get one for me!

Its a little blurry but thats what mine looks like now. The bottom center is stock. Bottom right you can see how I ground it flat to fit into the groove.

BARTOOL.jpg

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Sounds great Zap get one for me!

Its a little blurry but thats what mine looks like now. The bottom center is stock. Bottom right you can see how I ground it flat to fit into the groove.

BARTOOL.jpg

Billy

That's slick enough there and a tool that you have to carry anyways.

Oldie looks like it works well.

zap

I made a tool out of left over Kydex after making a holster...I also spray it out with PB Blaster to wash out anything I missed....

I have an old saz-all blade where I ground the "set" off the teeth. Follow up with compressed air starting at sprocket tip and working to back. Also you can find combination hook type tools that come with file kits.

Thanks Jay

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.