chainsaw carving question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
We just purchased a carving at an event here called log cabin days (a lot of Amish stuff, hand peeling & hewing demos, auctions, log cabin raising and log home tours) and thought I have seen carvings come up here before in discussion so if anyone has any experience with them, how is the best method of finishing them? Stain, paint, polyurethane? The wood was very wet, should I wait until it dries some or will finishing it when wet help prevent it from cracking too much?

Ohio, in case he doesn't chime in here, send a PM to Battenkiller.

Love to see some picture's. My daughter lives out near Canton. Last fall we went to the The Great Trail Festival. We tour the Amish country quite often when we are out there. Where and what was the event you went to?

Tom

OhioBurner© said:
We just purchased a carving at an event here called log cabin days (a lot of Amish stuff, hand peeling & hewing demos, auctions, log cabin raising and log home tours) and thought I have seen carvings come up here before in discussion so if anyone has any experience with them, how is the best method of finishing them? Stain, paint, polyurethane? The wood was very wet, should I wait until it dries some or will finishing it when wet help prevent it from cracking too much?
I was at a demonstration (chainsaw carving) out in Hamilton MT. and the guy said that he painted his stuff with reg. automotive antifreeze to preserve it. Sounds kinda? maybe? who knows?

Backwoods Savage said:
Ohio, in case he doesn't chime in here, send a PM to Battenkiller.
Thanks, I'll do just that.

xman23 said:
Love to see some picture's. My daughter lives out near Canton. Last fall we went to the The Great Trail Festival. We tour the Amish country quite often when we are out there. Where and what was the event you went to?

Tom

It doesnt look like much in the pictures but I can post some when I get a chance - I'm at work now and dont have them with me.

The event was Log Cabin Days at Hochstetler Milling. I did a quick search and found this link: is http://www.loudonville-mohican.com/area_photos_lcd.html its about log houses, the log mill, demonstrations including a small log cabin raising that was auctioned off there too, hand peeling and hewing demos, amish food, a tour of log homes, etc. Its near the Mohican area which is probably one of the most scenic places in ohio (not that thats very scenic lol) but I enjoy going up there every chance I get, hike and bike the trails, etc, want to start jogging the bike trails too. Where abouts near Canton does your daughter live? I have family in East Canton/ Lousiville and up there fairly often. Will be up there at the farm this weekend for opening of deer season (archery).

Status
Not open for further replies.