Change from rear vent to top vent? Too late?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Just wondering if it is possible to close off the rear vent on my Jotul so I can top vent it instead? I am considering changing my current design and chimney setup and wondering if top venting is still an option for me. I'm thinking it is not since I had to knock out the rear vent casting and it seemed like a irreversible decision.

wahoowad said:
Just wondering if it is possible to close off the rear vent on my Jotul so I can top vent it instead? I am considering changing my current design and chimney setup and wondering if top venting is still an option for me. I'm thinking it is not since I had to knock out the rear vent casting and it seemed like a irreversible decision.

No problem at all. The top vent isn't a knockout. The plug is held in by a piece of cast iron and a bolt. You take the top plug out and use the gasket, plug, piece of cast iron and the bolt to close the rear hole. And then you stick the pipe in the top and rock and roll. You might want to use new gasket material since you have already been burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.