Change in ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikhen

Oct 8, 2011
Oley, pa
I used to have grey ash that took a little bit of effort to clean. It used to stick on the glass and I had to scrub it off. Now, all the ash is black. It covers everything. It cleans very easy. I can even vacuum it right off the glass. It vacuums right off everything. I can't blame it on the pellets, using the same for a while now. Any idea if this is good or bad and what would cause it?

mikhen said:
I used to have grey ash that took a little bit of effort to clean. It used to stick on the glass and I had to scrub it off. Now, all the ash is black. It covers everything. It cleans very easy. I can even vacuum it right off the glass. It vacuums right off everything. I can't blame it on the pellets, using the same for a while now. Any idea if this is good or bad and what would cause it?

Crud in the plumbing or something is affecting the draft.

New stove breaking in? Did you change any settings? I would suspect pellets. Different tons of the same brand can be totally different. Even bags within the same ton with the same date stamp can be different. You always roll the dice with pellets. I see exactly these symptoms as I use different pellets.

Edit: I'm thinking your stove's performance is getting better!

Thats definitely a sign of air flow change. In a Heatilator or Quad, a leak or plug would be the only way to change the air.

Check the gaskets and check the combustion path to the blower and vent........ Sounds like a leak or plug?

Even different settings will provide around the same color ash.

Only time I had dark ash or clumping ash in the pot was from a Bad Door Gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.