Change of plans in northern Michigan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the family and I spent the day in Traverse City exploring many of the stove options you folks have helped us with. After looking at three shops...I think the original idea some of you suggested (rather than a bigger stove in the finished basement, put in a new one on the main living floor) might make the most sense. Just seems like too much to heat the whole house from the basement and still be able to use the basement at a reasonable temperature.

So, let's explore this option some. Begreen...I was very impressed with the Alderlea line. Looks very well built and the warranty was good. If I was going to use it on the main level (1000 sq ft with a 400 sq ft bedroom on the second level), would the T5 be about the right size? T4 too small?

I was also impressed with Jotul (f400, f118 cb and the f500). Also thinking back to the closer dealer in Gaylord, the Quadrafire Cumberland Gap and Harmon Oakleaf/Oakwood. Am I in the right ballpark size-wise here? Any thoughts on the best choices here?

My primary desires with this new option would be 1) stove quality, 2) appropriate heat amount and 3) being able to do some minor cooking using the stove top from time to time. I would prefer to not go all steel unless there is a strong reason to do so in my case.

Again, any pointers would be appreciated!

Justin

Yep, you are on the right track. The T5, Cumberland Gap, Napoleon 1600c, are all convective stoves that are in the 2 cu ft range and should work well for you. In radiant stoves, the Oslo would be a good pick.

Hey Justin. I think that's a good plan. I know you said you guys use the basement quite a bit. Do you have a plan for heating that space if you move the stove? Just something to think about. You won't get any heat from the stove into the basement. My dream is to add a small stove to my basement someday for that reason (stove on main floor).

Your stove choices sound good, but I definitely think the T4 would be too small. The T5 should be about right. If your main floor plan is relatively open, you could also go with a more radiant stove. If you like the look of soapstone, check out Woodstock's stoves. The Keystone or the Fireview would both be a good size for you. They don't use dealers so check out their website. They make really nice stoves and have great costumer service.

Think about where you will put the stove, and keep clearances to combustibles in mind. That's the only negative to those Woodstock stoves. Don't know how big the stove room will be, but big clearance requirements can really add to the overall footprint of the stove.

I like the Alderlea stoves. I would probably have a T6 if I hadn't found a rockin' deal on a BK. The trivets are cool.

Did you look at the Jotul Rangely?

Status
Not open for further replies.