Change out program in Maine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael B

Apr 28, 2012
Mid-Maine
I'm interested in changing out our older Nashua wood stove for an EPA compliant stove. Is anyone aware of any change out programs happening in Maine?

Thanks

I'm interested in changing out our older Nashua wood stove for an EPA compliant stove. Is anyone aware of any change out programs happening in Maine?

Thanks

I know Woodstock is doing one right now. Save $200 when you bring in an old Pre-EPA stove:
http://www.woodstove.com/sale

But, Woodstock is always running a sale.

Yes, thanks. I saw that. I'm actually very interested in the progress hybrid. Was just hoping to chip it down below the $2800...

Yes, thanks. I saw that. I'm actually very interested in the progress hybrid. Was just hoping to chip it down below the $2800...

Well, you're in luck, cuz it's currently priced at $2,795 ;lol

Reactions: DanCorcoran
ha, I guess I deserve that for being lazy and not typing out $2795..... I realize thats about $800($795?) below MSRP but I sure would like to shave a few hundred more off that.... I've emailed the Maine DEP to see what the state of the program is here in Maine. I understand it was created by our governor but never funded..... typical....

Reactions: milleo
Hey Michael,

I'm going to chime in here. I think you'll do better selling the Nashua privately if it's in good working condition. Also just a head's up: a lot of former Nashua burners complain that their new EPA stove does not put out the same kind of heat that their old Nashua would crank out.

I don't know if that's helpful to you, and to be honest I have zero experience with burning pre EPA stoves. But I can say for whatever reason, of the EPA converts Nashua owners tend to be the least satisfied with the transition. Apparently those Nashuas are real beasts.

*If you're looking to upgrade to EPA for environmental convictions or concerns, and therefore want to participate in whatever local programs may be available; then awesome. Forgive me for dissuading you in any way.

Hey Michael,

I'm going to chime in here. I think you'll do better selling the Nashua privately if it's in good working condition. Also just a head's up: a lot of former Nashua burners complain that their new EPA stove does not put out the same kind of heat that their old Nashua would crank out.

I don't know if that's helpful to you, and to be honest I have zero experience with burning pre EPA stoves. But I can say for whatever reason, of the EPA converts Nashua owners tend to be the least satisfied with the transition. Apparently those Nashuas are real beasts.

*If you're looking to upgrade to EPA for environmental convictions or concerns, and therefore want to participate in whatever local programs may be available; then awesome. Forgive me for dissuading you in any way.

No Problem Daf, I'm wanting to upgrade for a few reasons. First off the Nashua is the small version and we use it exclusively to heat our 2000+ Sqft home. (During some sub 0 stretches I use a small Kero heater in the basement). The stove has been repaired, a couple winters ago we had a crack in the firebox. It's welded and has held but It's proabably more well sutied to camp duty at this point. Obvilously burning less wood and getting more heat (which I've read can be the case with some of the newer cat stoves) would be great but heating exclusively with wood means long slow burn times twice a day. All day while we're at work and overnight. That little Nashua under those circumstances is a creosote machine. So the idea of burning cleaner is probably the biggest factor. Also, the hearth is set up poorly, really the entire set up isn't ideal. The chimney is outside and is block. We did put in a SS liner last fall. It's not in the middle of the hearth so the thimble hole is offset on the hearth and the stovepipe runs at about a 90 degree angle. This past winter I had Creosote dripping off the pipe onto the floor. Not safe. I know the long slow burn times are a huge factor so again, burning cleaner would be a huge plus.

Obvilously burning less wood and getting more heat (which I've read can be the case with some of the newer cat stoves)

A modern stove is not magic. If you need more heat, you will need a bigger firebox. Unless you mean you will waste less heat since you can burn it at a lower setting. Then I agree, as long as you oversize the stove. Fore instance, if you buy a Fireview for your 2,000 square ft home in Maine, you will not be burning slow and low. You will use the stove much like a non-cat stove and running the stove at a high temp.

No expert here, but sounds like you want a Blaze King for your usage pattern.

A modern stove is not magic. If you need more heat, you will need a bigger firebox. Unless you mean you will waste less heat since you can burn it at a lower setting. Than I agree, as long as you oversize the stove. Fore instance, if you buy a Fireview for your 2,000 square ft home in Maine, you will not be burning slow and low. You will use the stove much like a non-cat stove and running the stove at a high temp.

Not expecting magic. I will be up sizing and I guess I'm just expecting better efficiency and a cleaner burn.

Joful, I'll have to do some research on the Blaze King. Thanks

Something to be aware of is the fact that modern stoves do not do well with wet wood. Wood has to be at or below 20% moisture. Which usually means cut split and stacked for a year or two. For 2000sf in Maine you're going to probably want something with about a 3 cf firebox. I think the Progress is just under that but if your house is well insulated it may be a good fit for your application.

Welcome Michael. Thinking back, I can think of one old Nashua burner that was not happy at first with his EPA stove, but only one. The Nashua was a good stove, built like a WWII bunker. But a properly sized and run modern stove will both save you fuel and will give you a wonderful view of the fire while keeping you warm. It will run differently than the old stove and will run much better with dry wood, but should also save quite a bit in wood consumption. The caveat being that many new stoves are more convective in nature, with side shielding to reduce clearances. They also want a good draft and often don't perform as well on a short chimney of less than say 14ft. Some of this depends on the house design, stove and chimney location. If your heating needs depend on a radiant stove, then the Progress Hybrid could be a nice solution. But a simpler, less expensive big steel stove could also get the same job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.