Change splitter wheels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I am looking to swap my splitters non suspension spindle wheels, for torsion suspension system . What is the best way to achieve this?
The problem is my splitter takes a beating when I drive it around to rental customers. Splitter weighs approx 800 lbs.
Are there any torsion systems that will bolt directly onto the spindles?
My splitter is similar in design as the attached.
http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/Images/PowerTek-825V-H-Log-Splitter/i7484.html

I don't know of any. (bigger tires & lower the air pressure may help)
Maybe a trailer to haul it in.
Most splitters aren't made for high speed or long distance towing. Don't see many with suspension systems & tail lights.
Not that it can't be done. :)

Go to Northern Equipment. They have weld - on torsion spindles. I bet you could even find a pair that will work with your existing hubs......

[quote="gzecc, post: 1122949,
The problem is my splitter takes a beating when I drive it around to rental customers. Splitter weighs approx 800 lbs.
[/quote]

Likewise our splitter has no suspension, just a solid axle with 15 inch tires with 7 PSI air pressure. Down side is that at that low air pressure you also need tubes in the tires.
Magnet attaching turn signal brake lights.
The torsion suspension sounds like an interesting idea!

Attachments

• webIMGP3572.JPG
    webIMGP3572.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 377
Reactions: hobbyheater
It may be cheaper just to buy/build a small trailer and haul the splitter in that to the site.

Reactions: MasterMech
It may be cheaper just to buy/build a small trailer and haul the splitter in that to the site.
Too much a PITA to have to trailer it to every renter. Have you pulled an 800lb splitter up (or down) a trailer ramp?
It needs new wheels anyway. I can probably do it for $300. It will extend the life of the splitter and also increase its value. Like I said, it needs new wheels anyway.

Why do you need tubes?

[quote="gzecc, post: 1122949,
Down side is that at that low air pressure you also need tubes in the tires.
[/quote]

Why do you need tubes?

Down side is that at that low air pressure you also need tubes in the tires.

Not if the rim is designed for low pressure. ATVs frequently run sub 5 psi pressures and no tubes.

Tubes are lousy in low pressure tires. On a trailer/splitter it wouldn't be bad but on ATV's or lawn tractor drive tires the tire often moves a bit on the rim and eventually the valve stem on the tube either tears or gets pulled back inside the wheel.

Don't think that is what you are looking for. Link shows a replacement trailing arm that is part of a torsion system. You are looking for something more like this. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200323649_200323649
Thanks for that link. I was hoping to attach a torsion system directly to the existing spindle. Not have to re-engineer everything. Adding another axle will also increase the cost and probably height. The height has to be acceptable for the verticle position.

Tractor supply may have what you need, good luck! (oh and pics when done;))

With the torsion axle assembly, it wouldn't take too much to get your height correct. Just torch the old off at the needed height to accept the new (and maintain original height). You might have to weld a flat plate on where you torch the old off for a mounting bracket, but certainly not hard to do.

Too much a PITA to have to trailer it to every renter. Have you pulled an 800lb splitter up (or down) a trailer ramp?

Mine is ~700. IME, its damn easy by yourself if you have a low trailer with 8" wheels and a 10' ramp. Its next to impossible with a 2nd person helping if you have a trailer with 15" wheels and a 6' ramp.

Get a Harbor Freight folding utility trailer with 8" wheels. If you wait for a sale and find a 20% off coupon, you'll spend less than you are looking to spend on a torsion axle.

No, the part I'm talking about in Northern Tool is just a small stub with the torsion part attached to the spindle. You weld it on, there is no tube in between. Read the description. All you have to do is cut off or unbolt existing axle, and weld one of these torsion axles on either side. The 1000 LB. set runs something like $140 if I remember correctly.....

why would anyone split vertical? ...

Easy, we're too cheap to buy/fab all the equipment necessary to process big rounds horizontally. ;)

I like log lifts better too but this is supposed to be a simple modification to improve the tow-ability of the unit the OP already has. Not build him a new splitter.

Easy, we're too cheap to buy/fab all the equipment necessary to process big rounds horizontally. ;)

I like log lifts better too but this is supposed to be a simple modification to improve the tow-ability of the unit the OP already has. Not build him a new splitter.
Question: Why wouldn anyone split vertically. Answer: So you don't have to lift a 200lb round off the ground.

Question: Why wouldn anyone split vertically. Answer: So you don't have to lift a 200lb round off the ground.

Some of us actually like our backs !!:)

Not if the rim is designed for low pressure. ATVs frequently run sub 5 psi pressures and no tubes.

Tubes are lousy in low pressure tires. On a trailer/splitter it wouldn't be bad but on ATV's or lawn tractor drive tires the tire often moves a bit on the rim and eventually the valve stem on the tube either tears or gets pulled back inside the wheel.

You are right the rims are not designed for low pressure. I very seldom have to go more than a half hour on the highway so heat and friction with tubes is not a factor ,and only collect firewood in the cooler months ,with fire hazard being the biggest reason. Low pressure tubeless tires would sometimes roll off the the bead when yarding bigger blocks that are not in lead .

Attachments

• IMGP3570.JPG
    IMGP3570.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 268
Status
Not open for further replies.