Changed pellets, what a difference!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoerBoelAmari

Oct 24, 2012
So, I have been having some issues with my stove. My vent setup was way out of whack, had some leaky gaskets, and was burning cheapo pellets.

The vent setup is now fixed and Mike H. has communicated to me that it is more than adequate. I have replaced door gaskets, window gaskets, cradle gaskets, and ash pan gaskets. My first ton of pellets were Eco-Flames (a pellet made from pine trees that are destroyed due to beatle infestation). After much research I decided to purchase a ton of Cubex pellets.

Oddly enough, my ton of Cubex pellets did not produce the effects that I was hoping to achieve. The burn was quite like that of the Eco-Flames. Large brick formations in the burn pot, soot forming on the window and so forth. We adjusted the LBA setting which certainly helped get air flowing through the stove a little better, but issues still occured.

Yesterday morning I went and picked up a new ton of pellets, McFeeters. I burned through my last bag of Cubex overnight and once the stove shut down I took everything apart and gave the stove a through cleaning. Took apart the venting sections and cleaned my horizontal runs and bends. Filled up the hopper and let her rip.

Two times while trying to burn these pellets the stove shut down. The feed rate (at setting 4) was unable to keep up with the rate of combustion. I had my LBA at 6 while burning the Cubex. I turned my LBA to the factory setting of 4. The flame height was barely eclipsing the top of the burn pot. I now have the LBA set to 3 and the flame height is just to the top of the discharge shute except when a large amount of pellets enters the burn pot.

So, is this a difference in the pellets? Or did I find the source of my air flow issues accidentally? The only gasket that was changed today was my cradle gasket.

I was unaware they had an impact on the pine trees out west. Damn brits!

Status
Not open for further replies.