Changing Single to Double Wall Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiofire

Nov 11, 2011
Southwest Ohio
I initially installed our stove using a DuraPlus Chimney and Chimney kit. At the time, I used single wall stovepipe to run from the stove to the chimney box. I don't like how the single wall looks at this point, and decided to go with double wall, DVL pipe (duravent product). I have the telescoping pipe, flue connector, and chimney box connector. My question, before I just jump in, is: how do I get the old chimney box connector out? I haven't tried, yet, and it's been long enough ago that I installed it that I don't remember how it went in. I feel like it just snapped in. Is that something I can just pull out, or am I in for way more than I initially thought? I'm somewhat handy, as I did the whole initial install myself, but don't want to break something out of ignorance. Also, I'm getting antsy, as I have not started burning yet b/c of this switch, and it frustrates me every time that furnace kicks on. Anyway, any advice would help.

Great question. On the old version duraplus ceiling box there were little notches that allowed you to remove whatever it is that you snapped into it from below after a little twist to line up the notches. Now there are no notches and the little slip joint piece that you shoved up in there snapped in quite firmly. I was hanging on that thing while trying to get a slip joint to slip down below and I don't know how you're going to get it out.

Perhaps you can find some better looking single wall.

At some point, that mild steel piece that snaps into the box will need to be replaced due to rot so surely there is some way to remove it.

Actually, I think they both use the same connector.. I am pretty sure that is what I noticed in my catalog.. have to try to find it again.. but if you have one, you might be able to check..

^^the SD pipe doesn't need an adapter for single wall pipe, as long as you used the matching dura-black pipe...the slip fits great w/o any adapter.

the dvl pipe needs a chimney adapter, what used to be called the close clearance connector, the CCC was a snap in part, you may need to get in there w/a slotted screw driver and bent the locking tabs to get it loose.

Thanks for the info. I get the idea of making it sturdy, and therefore making it hard to get out. At the same time, I don't understand why they would make it so hard to replace or change. Nothing is ever as easy as what you think it's going to be, I know that much.

Simpson sells a couple of parts for single wall interior systems that snap into the ceiling box. The one I used was about 12" long and was meant to be the small end of a slip joint, the idea being that the snapped in section would be covered by the next, lower, generic section of single wall.

Double wall won't work without removing that 12" snout and I don't know how to do it on the current model ceiling box without some redneck jive like shoving a screwdriver in there. On my older ceiling support box from simpson, they make this operation easy with little cutouts.

I e-mailed the Simpson folks this morning (couldn't call from work). If I don't hear back by the time I leave work, I plan on giving them a call. Surely I'm not the first person to need this part removed, so they should have some idea of how to do it. When I talk to them or hear back from them, I'll post their response on here.

^^the SD pipe doesn't need an adapter for single wall pipe, as long as you used the matching dura-black pipe...the slip fits great w/o any adapter.

the dvl pipe needs a chimney adapter, what used to be called the close clearance connector, the CCC was a snap in part, you may need to get in there w/a slotted screw driver and bent the locking tabs to get it loose.

See that now that I found my old catalog.. they both attach to the box the same way, but one is a slip pipe part, barbs at the box connection, and the other has "barbs" on both halves it looks like..

Will be watching to see what the removal process is.. just in case I ever have to do that.

Having two young kids makes it tough to get things done in a timely manner. I just got around to getting the pipe changed yesterday. Never got a reply from the company, which was a little annoying. When I got up to take the old adapter out of the ceiling box, I kind of twisted it, and then it basically came out with no problem. It doesn't seem like it should come out that easy, but it looked like I may have bent it loose when I was moving it around. Bottom line, in a world when nothing is ever as easy as it seems like it should be, I let that go without too much questioning. Since my new part gets screwed in to the ceiling box, I'm not worried about it coming out. So, no real amazing answer here. It worked out, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.