Charcoal-like remnants: keep or toss?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runningtab

Jan 5, 2016
France
Fire dies down, leaving 90% burned charcoal-like chunks -- if charcoal were essentially weightless and crumbled to the touch. I've left them in as a bed for kindling last couple of fires. Seem to do no harm, and it's easier to leave them than to crush 'em or shovel 'em out. Leave? Toss? Thanks!

Leave them. At least for me it seems like night and day difference starting a fire in a stove with the remnants of the last fire vs. a cleaned out stove, even when cold. With the extended shoulder season I wasn't running 24/7 and I used to clean way too much. I stopped doing a full cleaning, I just scoop out some ash and wipe down the glass. Much happier with startups and performance early in the cycle.

Leave them, plenty of energy left in those charcoal chunks.
This. Plus they're good for keeping splits suspended above the ash bed when starting a top-down fire in a cold stove, giving the undersides a chance to catch fire.

Keep them in the firebox and burn them.

I'm with saskwoodburner burn them great for fire restart.

Keep . . . it's fuel . . . and you'll find that they ignite pretty easily the next time you light up the stove.

Its worth setting up a strainer for your ash and recovering the charcoal chunks. Just throw them in with your next fire

Status
Not open for further replies.