Charging Strategy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoiledOver

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2013
43°58'55 N - 85°20' W
Interested in hearing other's theories on this topic.

Let's assume a charging only status. Have you studied your boiler output and actual flow rates to storage? Could you prove your theory as confirmed?

What aspects to consider when studying the charging process?
  1. Boiler rating btu/hr
  2. True boiler efficiency
  3. Circulator flow rate
  4. Boiler protection influenced flow rate
  5. Storage btu content (beginning and target)
  6. Benefits of a buffer (tempering) tank
  7. Return temps
  8. How many laps
  9. Flue temps (part of #2)
  10. Boiler rating/storage capacity ratio
Knowing the true efficiency of the boiler, the MC of the fuel, total btu in storage at start, and total btu target; we can determine how much fuel is necessary. Is this correct? Yeah, that's the easy part.

Can reaching the target be done at varying speeds? Is slower or faster more efficient? Does beginning storage temps matter? How does boiler protection effect the process? Constant flow or regulated?

I began attempting to squeeze every ounce out of storage possible. The result was a long uphill battle to recharge. As long as 9-1/2 hours for a single recharge. Like starting from a dead stop at the bottom of the California grapevine (5 mile upgrade at 6%) with a fully loaded semi. Now I do not allow storage to go much below 130F at the bottom. Burn times of 3-4 hours. Like doing 45 mph at the beginning of the grapevine.

More shorter length burns as opposed to an all day affair every 2 or 3 days. Collateral damage with this method is some standby loss. Works fine here though as the storage is in the shop.

Was using a setpoint to control circulation but now go with always on until near the end (to stop a cooling flow). I like to get the thermo valve to wide open sooner rather than later. This was not a consideration until placing additional sensors on the storage tanks and seeing the stratification layers. Knowing the btu distribution in your storage will aid in charging strategy.

While using a setpoint for the circ there was quite a bit of oscillation with the circ and the combustion fan. Maybe that is due to the RK controller's slow reaction time. While using always on circ, the oscillation of both are eliminated.

In the end it will always be this many pounds for that many btus, yes?

I have done a lot dealing with your questions. One of my posts is a pretty good quick summary. Efficiency. I have found the easiest, yet quite accurate, low tech way to approach this is with weighed wood burns. If you search that you may find some ideas that will help you with some answers.

Reactions: BoiledOver
That's pretty complicated sounding.

I start charging when the house starts losing temp (or before, when convenient), and stop putting wood in the fire once storage is 150 or so on bottom. This time of year that's around 6 hrs, and that gets both house & storage charged up.

Reactions: BoiledOver
That's pretty complicated sounding.
Yeah I know. But, in general there are benefits to knowing more, rather than less, about things.

Maple1 - that's about what I do now too, except I use the sensor temperature at middle of the tank. Exception being if I'm going to be gone more than two days, then I push total tank temperature higher which at 190+ top to bottom will provide at least 3 days and often more at setpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.