Chase Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kraftwerk

Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2010
KS
I have removed the siding and sheathing from the bottom of my cantilevered exterior chase for some renovation work. There is no insulation in there besides foil faced foam board sheathing, which I am replacing with 7/16 OSB sheathing.

The fireplace is a Heatilator FP36 from 1986. The label says: "Install chimney at 2" minimum to enclosure. Fireplace bottom, sides and back may be adjacent to enclosure."

What should I insulate the areas underneath and the walls of the chase with? I was going to use unfaced fiberglass batts but now I am wondering if it needs a vapor barrier. Exposed kraft paper sounds like a bad idea though.

Here is the space directly under the fireplace, on the other side of that far header is a brick hearth in the living room:

dscf2517d.jpg

Here is the cantilevered joists underneath that, going in to the basement:

dscf2518.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.