1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

cheapest pellet sifter?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by pelletizer, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pelletizer

pelletizer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pellet County N.H.
    I think I have discovered the cheapest pellet sifter by accident.
    I was thinking of building one of the PVC PIPE vac filters but found this feline item in the corner of my garage one night while using a steel strainer to sift out small pcs and dust.
    This does the job good although slow, it filters dust and small pcs any way it works.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

Pelletizer,

you must have a LOT more extra time on your hands than I do.....I couldn't do that cat litter thing....no way, no how.

I'm betting you'll get tired of that after a while, and build the vacuum system.
  3. pelletizer

pelletizer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pellet County N.H.
    macman I must admit you could be correct here, The last litter/pellet sift after taking the little one to Brownies was way to long but it works for now and a PCV Pipe trip to Lowes is in the works.
  4. flashbang

flashbang Member

Loc:
    NY
    If I can find a nice undoucumented neighborhood kid and pay him $10.00/ton it might just be worth it.
  5. fishpole

fishpole New Member

Loc:
    Central Ma
    That looks like it would take forever to do a 40lb bag. This is better and it works great. I put one together the other day. I run a bag through it just before bringing it into the house. The guy who posted it in youtube should patent it. Simple, effective and cheap.

6. in-control

in-control New Member

Loc:
    Central Ma
    I plan to use a large steel colander, about 5 times that size to scoop out the pellets from the bag into the stove. To me what ever I do has to be easy and not a science fair project. I like the idea of sifting on the fly.
  7. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    I've never had to sift any pellets... am I missing something?
  8. muss

muss Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Embden, Maine
    I use a large restaurant size collander laid over a painted galvanized bucket . Works great . I pour a whole bag into a larger size galvanized bucket first . I pour the bag outside first then bring it in & start scooping pellets in the collander . minimal dust Muss . Dealer said it wasn't necessary but i like doing it . I'm sure if the newbies haven't discovered the wonderful world of ash dust when they open their stove doors to clean, they soon will . A little 2gal. wet/dry shop vac will take care of that .
  9. imacman

imacman Guest

No one says you have to sift them. Some of us would rather clean them before they cause a problem in the stove (jam up the auger, etc.) or cause family members w/ allergies to have a reaction to the dust.

It's personal preference
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.