Check out this Hearth and Chimney Install Quote...Labor seems a bit high...Is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
Got this quote from a sweep/mason last week. I really liked the guy and he seemed very knowledgable. I guess I wasn't planning on spending $5000 to set a $476 stove on. Does this estimate seem right? I might need to learn how to lay cultured stone if this estimate looks right.

Attachments

• E-mail Unsaved Project.jpg
    E-mail Unsaved Project.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 442
  • hearth quote 1.jpg
    hearth quote 1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 376
Does the first line of that quote say that they are going to "re-due" your grout?

-SF

SlyFerret said:
Does the first line of that quote say that they are going to "re-due" your grout?

-SF

On my other stove, I have a crack in the brick hearth that was going to fix as well.

It's up to you, but the costs are in the grand setting for the stove, not so much the installation. You might want to get a mason for a competitive quote on the hearth and wall if that is what is desired.

The OP doesn't say which Englander this is, but I have to ask, is the wall protection necessary or just an aesthetic request? Rear heat shields are available for the 30NC that will reduce clearances if need be, but the massive stone wall is not a requirement, nor is the fancy hearth. You could get away with a pre-made hearth for about $300. Or build an even nicer one yourself for less. Then it comes down to just the flue which seems fairly priced.

Hearth is ornamental indeed. It is going to be installed over tiles , over cement slab. I was hoping to do this project all at once. Chimney install, and pretty hearth and stone wall. Now with looking at $3000 for the stone work we may break this job down into phases. First phase oviously to get the chimney in and then take it from there. Is installing faux stone that time consuming to do? Is it a do it yourself project for someone who gas no masonry experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.