Check your burn pots.... Englander 25-pvdc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sperley03

Aug 18, 2014
Maine
Just picked up my first pellet stove and been using it in the evenings lately to keep from burning oil. I noticed that within a few hours the glass was black, alot of ash, and the flame seemed lazy. I started cleaning the stove tonight (gone through 8 bags of Energex) and removed the burn pot to find these two globs of weld, which was keeping the burn pot from getting a good seal and vacuum blowing up by insteadof through the plate. Holy what a difference now, the plate is now covered with glowing coals instead of ash.
Check your burn pots guys, and you will prob need a new gasket as I do. I'm also sending this in to englander so they will enforce their QC checks.

Attachments

• IMG_20140923_181952_058.jpg
    IMG_20140923_181952_058.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20140923_181938_232.jpg
    IMG_20140923_181938_232.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 268
I bought my stove at Marden's, it was a refurbished unit, they buy a dozen or so directly each year.
Stove has been running 10 hours now, just a thin layer of grey on glass, not black like it was and burn pot is not full of ash either. Also I just checked the hopper, normally I'd have to fill it up at this time each morning and it has only used half that amount.

I ground down the globs of weld so the burn pot sits flush with the gasket so it is sealed now instead of air leaking by. The air is now flowing up through the burn plate instead of out the back side of the pot.

Mike, let me know if you need the stove serial # for parts tracking to see who the welder was. I'm not sure if you guys use a stamping method on small parts, when I was a defense contracted welder, we were each assigned a numerical stamp and every job we did has our stamp on it for QC purposes if a future problem were to arise .
I'm not trying to get the guy in trouble, but if he didn't clean up his work on one piece, there are more out there.

Mike, let me know if you need the stove serial # for parts tracking to see who the welder was. I'm not sure if you guys use a stamping method on small parts, when I was a defense contracted welder, we were each assigned a numerical stamp and every job we did has our stamp on it for QC purposes if a future problem were to arise .
I'm not trying to get the guy in trouble, but if he didn't clean up his work on one piece, there are more out there.

naah, actually "peer pressure" will take care of the oversight. being able to show the guys a picture of "the one that got away" will get the issue fixed. i have a great group back there and they usually catch stuff like that. being human though im sure the occasional "whoopsie' is going to sneak by.

Status
Not open for further replies.