2014 Englander Pellet stove shutting off within seconds of starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShannonNShane

Sep 3, 2023
Athens, Pa
Please be patient with me, brand new to the forum and we are stumped. We bought a brand new 2014 Englander pellet stove back about 5 years ago, ran it for 2 seasons, maintained it ie; cleaning out ash pot etc. Went to fire it up 2 years ago and it would start, board would light up and then the GFI outlet would trip so after several attempts with the same outcome, my husband cleaned everything out pellets and all and replaced the GFI outlet with a regular outlet and now it powers on and then right back off. This thing is like brand new still and he thought it was a vacuum issue so he checked the line blew through it etc. We don't know where to begin and cannot find the paperwork for it to troubleshoot without error codes. Any input would be appreciated.

Resized_20230820_133504.jpeg

Welcome to the forum
Here is a manual for your stove
Does it show any error codes?
does it just power on and then off right away?
Did the stove have a complete cleaning from the air intake to the exhaust termination?
Does the combustion fan come on when powered up?

Reactions: ARC
replaced the GFI outlet with a regular outlet and now it powers on and then right back off
Assuming you mean when you push ON button it powers on then off? I would unplug the igniter from the control board. Spades 9 and 10 then try the ON button. Of course the fire will not start but the stove should stay "on" for 20 minutes before it shuts itself off or until you push off button. With the stove tripping GFI I would "guess the igniter is bad, by unplugging it you will see if it is what is shutting stove down. You can actually start a fire with pellet starting gel or hand sanitizer if you want to run a test fire.

1693754775189.png

1693754802702.png

Reactions: Ssyko
Assuming you mean when you push ON button it powers on then off? I would unplug the igniter from the control board. Spades 9 and 10 then try the ON button. Of course the fire will not start but the stove should stay "on" for 20 minutes before it shuts itself off or until you push off button. With the stove tripping GFI I would "guess the igniter is bad, by unplugging it you will see if it is what is shutting stove down. You can actually start a fire with pellet starting gel or hand sanitizer if you want to run a test fire.

View attachment 314976
View attachment 314977
Oh my gosh! Thank you for this information! I will give this to Hubby to look at. It as of right now immediately after hitting the on goes right to off and the exhaust fan still runs, I was thinking it was because we took out the first outlet we had installed that had a trip system (having a brain fart at the moment on actual term) and a regular outlet installed because it was tripping every time we turned on. It was throwing a code last year but now isn't doing anything code wise now, just stays in the off mode with the exhaust fan running.

Welcome to the forum
Did the stove have a complete cleaning from the air intake to the exhaust termination?
It showed an error code last year and then we opted to switch out the outlet that was a GFCI to a regular outlet and now it just switches to off immediately with the exhaust fan still running. I appreciate the response.

Welcome to the forum
It showed an error code last year and then we opted to switch out the outlet that was a GFCI to a regular outlet and now it just switches to off immediately with the exhaust fan still running. I appreciate the respon

Yeah one of the components has a short to ground - either the igniter or one of the motors. If the exhaust fan runs then that's not it.

If the GFI was tripping immediately, and not after a couple of minutes of pressing On, I would suspect the igniter as well. There are basically three things that power on when you hit the on button and I would look at those 3 things, The combustion blower, the igniter, and the auger motor to feed pellets. Also check the wires going to each of those in case there's a bare spot shorting out.
If it is the igniter, it's a little weird that the whole stove shuts down with the new non-GFI outlet though. An igniter that failed, usually just stops working and the burn pot will overflow with pellets and shut down when it fails to heat with an E2 error code for an Englander. If the igniter or igniter cable is shorted to ground, that would trip a GFI, but I would expect the fuse on the board to blow also.

Last edited:
A GFI would also trip if you have a short from neutral to ground or a low current "leak" to ground. The fact that it shuts down immediately makes me suspect that the low voltage powering the board is getting overloaded and maybe the fuse is indeed blown or the fault occurred prior to the fuse... just spitballing here

Ok, he checked the fuse and it's fine, disconnected the ignitor and its still doing the same thing, he says the combustion motor is not kicking on. If he holds the "ON" button the auger will feed pellets. He thinks it's not able to read something and that's why it's switching right back off.

View attachment 314976
View attachment 314977
Ok, he checked the fuse and it's fine, disconnected the ignitor and its still doing the same thing, he says the combustion motor is not kicking on. If he holds the "ON" button the auger will feed pellets. He thinks it's not able to read something and that's why it's switching right back off.

Exhaust fan works, auger works, he's going down now to disconnect the igniter and check the fuse to make sure it didn't blow as well.

A GFI would also trip if you have a short from neutral to ground or a low current "leak" to ground. The fact that it shuts down immediately makes me suspect that the low voltage powering the board is getting overloaded and maybe the fuse is indeed blown or the fault occurred prior to the fuse... just spitballing here

Disconnect all components except the board, it should give you error codes. if it still shuts down then the board has an issue