Check your stove after install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n1st

Jun 3, 2007
Enfield, CT
I looked at the black stove pipe on the inside of the house before it goes thru the wall this past weekend, and it looked a bit odd. Upon close inspection, it had separated and there was actually a gap between the sections! The installer screwed all pices together except for this one, and guess what... I also checked the legs which have a leveling screw in them and 1 leg wasn't even touching the ground. Also, the bolts attaching the leg to the stove bottom was a bit loose on all four.

So, be sure to check your stove and pipe periodically, especially after install.

Bahhhhhhhhhhhh

DriftWood said:
Did you have a permit and inspection. If not get one to see what else he missed.

Yes it was inspected - and passed. I wonder how many inspectors would catch the things I noticed.

That's exactly why I was at home during the install. I had previously sealed the existing gap between the lintel and brick on the inside, insisted on the back off plate, cut a piece of extra insulation for the liner to place on top of it, and sealed around the back off plate. I also removed the air tubes and all the firebrick because I didn't want to risk a slip and crash while hefting it up onto the hearth (also something they don't do because it takes time and what's an extra 100 lbs anyway). While they were finishing the termination cap on top, I was drilling the screws to secure the pipe to the insert. It pays to do your homework and be vigilant where fire is concerned.

N1ST said:
DriftWood said:
Did you have a permit and inspection. If not get one to see what else he missed.

Yes it was inspected - and passed. I wonder how many inspectors would catch the things I noticed.

Call up the inspection office and ask for your money back :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.