Cherry ready to burn in 6 months ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
I thought I read somewhere here, that Cherry may be ready to roll in as little as 6 months.....??...naturally, I'll check with the mm

I have burned fresh cut cherry before out of necessity but it builds a lot of creosote very fast and is sopping wet for cherry. You should dry it at least 1 year before you burn it 2 if possible when dried properly it burns very well.

Pete

No way for me. Cherry takes about as long as oak IMO

Cherry got that reputation I was told because it usually goes dormant earlier than a lot of trees i e sap stops flowing in August or early Sept. Appears drier to the eye & touch at that point. I've burned winter cut cherry the following fall with no problems, but haven't tried it any earlier than that. A C

Cherry is a pretty fast seasoning wood - at 6 months of good sun/wind, you'd likely be good. I've been burning some 1 year seasoned cherry that is perfect, but I think it was just as good at about 8 months. Cheers!

Rather cold fires seasoned less than a year, IMO.

My green cherry CSS by april 1st was 18 % in Sept. and burnt well, started fires with med. size splits but I am sure some one will tell me I am full of crap.

Cherry I've burned has been 6 to 9 and its burned like my 12 plus so... So ya is say its true. Zap burns a lot of cherry...

Beer Belly said:
I thought I read somewhere here, that Cherry may be ready to roll in as little as 6 months.....??...naturally, I'll check with the mm

Cherry seasons quick but we still like it seasoned one year, we burn just over three cord per year with this being our third year burning.

zap

Near the stove, indoors, you can quickly drop the MC quite a bit also, to finish it off, so to speak.

Two year minimum seasoning for all wood fuel. It increases the clean burn and heat output dramatically.
Try it!

I'm burning some Cherry that's been drying five months. The bottom of the trunk started at 28%, the rest was a bit drier. Some of it is a little slow to start and shows moisture on the end of the split. November and December aren't prime drying months...six months of prime drying may have had this stuff pretty close.

Last year I had a bunch of cherry cut during spring, a lot of it not split until early summer, and still got down to 20-24% on the biggest wettest peices and under 20% for most of the pieces. I'd recommend a full year but under going drying conditions a half year worked fine for me. I've never had such a clean chimney as I did last year (first year with EPA stove). However I still took probably two 5 gallon buckets of creosote out of the old smoke dragons flue last year.

This year has been the opposite, I split most of everything late winter/early spring. Since then I think we have had 2 days it hasnt rained. Oh wait there was a third day it didnt rain I keep forgetting about...
:shut:

Valhalla said:
Two year minimum seasoning for all wood fuel. It increases the clean burn and heat output dramatically.
Try it!

It's not the time that makes it burn good. It's the amount of moisture. So if your below 20% moisture in 6 months burn it.

woodsmaster said:
Valhalla said:
Try it!

It's not the time that makes it burn good. It's the amount of moisture. So if your below 20% moisture in 6 months burn it.

+1 - time just gives you much better odds of having a seasons worth of dry fuel, but if it's ready to go early, no need to wait two years. Cheers!

Valhalla said:
Try it!

Bingo!

Thanks guys.....I'll let it sit.....but if needed, I'll check with the mm first, but with this mild weather, I might not need it, it's really helping me stretch my wood supply which is short this year

It's not the time that makes it burn good. It's the amount of moisture. So if your below 20% moisture in 6 months burn it.[/quote]

+1.......

Backwoods Savage said:
Valhalla said:
Try it!

Bingo!

Thanks

Valhalla said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Valhalla said:
Try it!

Bingo!

Thanks
You guys wear me out! We all know that. Almost all wood is good in 2 years! Sometimes, some of us, for whatever the reason, don't have 2 years. The question was, the OP read somewhere that cherry wood be ready in 6 months. So, as we all know, some wood is dryer when cut than others, drys faster, and as some said, the bottom line is, it doesn't matter how long, but how dry. My experience has been that Cherry is dryer when cut and drys faster. Just sayin........The end goal is to keep warm. :)

Backwoods Savage said:
Valhalla said:
Try it!

Bingo!
I hate to be the one to tell you this but you are wrong and I have burnt enough wood and have aMM and no way all woods take 2 years, what are you gaining if the wood is below 20 % in 1 year or less. I hate to see new posters get the wrong message. If we live close enough to each other I would prove it 2 you with a test.

Some woods can be cut in winter when the sap is down, and drying will start straightaway, and will continue through the summer and by late autumn can be ready to burn.

However, cherry tends to lose it leaves and go into dormancy early, and the sap also starts rising early, and once the sap is rising, you will struggle to get it really dry by the following autumn.

Cherry flowers here as early as late February, this winter is so mild we have sap already rising on some trees round here as the buds are visibly swelling.

So if anyone here was trying to get a wood today for next winter I'd point them to an ash tree or a birch tree.

I cut a standing dead cherry a month ago. MC was 24% when it fell. Its now at 21% and I've been burning it as needed.
I elect to clean my chimney every 3-4 weeks rather than have a $250 heating bill every month.

oldspark said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Valhalla said:
Try it!

Bingo!
I hate to be the one to tell you this but you are wrong and I have burnt enough wood and have aMM and no way all woods take 2 years, what are you gaining if the wood is below 20 % in 1 year or less. I hate to see new posters get the wrong message. If we live close enough to each other I would prove it 2 you with a test.

Of course we know that all wood does not need 2 years drying time. Some wood even needs more! Yes, there are plenty of woods that dry well enough in a year and there are some that dry excellently in 6 months. That is not the point though. If you give it 2 years you will never be sorry nor will you have problems with it.

Backwoods Savage said:
oldspark said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Valhalla said:
Try it!

Bingo!

Of course we know that all wood does not need 2 years drying time. Some wood even needs more! Yes, there are plenty of woods that dry well enough in a year and there are some that dry excellently in 6 months. That is not the point though. If you give it 2 years you will never be sorry nor will you have problems with it.
I prefer to know what the % is so if some day I do get behind on wood due to injury or sickness (you preach this) I know what I can burn with 6 months seasoning, I dont need 2 years to get prime wood, it will only get to a point and slow way down drying anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.