Furniture Oil used 8 months ago

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NGWatts

Jan 1, 2024
I have a "Wood Land" steel woodburning stove. 8 months ago I applied furniture/wood oil to the exterior to make it shiney. Today is the 1st time to use the woodburner again since last winter. Everything went well until a few moments into it, I noticed smoke coming up off the top of the burn box, thought maybe there was a leak but was told it may be from the wood oil I used to polish it with. Would it still be on the stove 8 months later? How do I remove it?

Used woodburner today January, 1, 2024 for the 1st time in about a year. Everything went well until smoke came off the TOP of the stove. This furniture/wood oil was applied EIGHT months ago and lost its shine pretty fast so I am wondering if the stove is porous and still contains some of the oil, causing the smoke? If so, how do I get rid of the oil off of the surface?
1704143056221.png

Reactions: mark cline
Used woodburner today January, 1, 2024 for the 1st time in about a year. Everything went well until smoke came off the TOP of the stove. This furniture/wood oil was applied EIGHT months ago and lost its shine pretty fast so I am wondering if the stove is porous and still contains some of the oil, causing the smoke? If so, how do I get rid of the oil off of the surface?
View attachment 321852
It's metal it is not porous but there is residue left that is going to burn off

It's metal it is not porous but there is residue left that is going to burn off
Thank you very much. I didn't have much wood in it so i let the fire die. Any idea how long the exterior smoking may persist when I use it again? Smoke filled up my entire house and I just got over pneumonia.

Why are you oiling the stove? Any oil you apply will burn off.
I oiled it just one time right before photographer came to place property on the market; wanted it to look shiney. Do you know if it will continue to smoke each time I use it? What can i wipe it down with to help?

Thank you very much. I didn't have much wood in it so i let the fire die. Any idea how long the exterior smoking may persist when I use it again? Smoke filled up my entire house and I just got over pneumonia.
No clue my guess is it will be gone after the first hot fire though

Reactions: all night moe
I oiled it just one time right before photographer came to place property on the market; wanted it to look shiney. Do you know if it will continue to smoke each time I use it? What can i wipe it down with to help?

While I'm sure that looked good in photos, that seems like a bad idea, especially an oil that is likely not very friendly when burned.

I concur that you'll probably just need to burn it off. Anything you wipe it down with would also need to burn off and I wouldn't risk using chemicals that may strip the paint. You could probably try rubbing alcohol, but the finish on a stove isn't glassy smooth, so it's be hard to get it all off.

What furniture oil did you use?

While I'm sure that looked good in photos, that seems like a bad idea, especially an oil that is likely not very friendly when burned.

I concur that you'll probably just need to burn it off. Anything you wipe it down with would also need to burn off and I wouldn't risk using chemicals that may strip the paint. You could probably try rubbing alcohol, but the finish on a stove isn't glassy smooth, so it's be hard to get it all off.

What furniture oil did you use?
I think i used Murphy's - very oily. I won't use chemicals to rub it down with, just water. It lost the oil shine within a few days after applying last April. No longer shiney, that's why I didn't think anything about using the stove but it must have retained the oil in the steel.

I think i used Murphy's - very oily. I won't use chemicals to rub it down with, just water. It lost the oil shine within a few days after applying last April. No longer shiney, that's why I didn't think anything about using the stove but it must have retained the oil in the steel. I hope next time it wont smoke as much because it filled the house up with smoke today and I just got over pneumonia. Going to wipe it down several times and scrub on it with nothing but water before using it again.

The oil in Murphy's will be deposited behind. That doesn't evaporate. You'll have to clean it off or burn it off. Water won't do much.

Reactions: NGWatts
Like said, rubbing alcohol might work. You can get denatured alcohol by the gallon at the hardware store.
The sure bet would be to burn it off. Open those french doors and a window opposite. Run it hot for a good 20 minutes. Walk outside if you must bht, keep an eye on it.
NOT before making sure your chimney is clean. You did say the stove hasn't been used in a year. Also, you need ember protection on that floor.

Like said, rubbing alcohol might work. You can get denatured alcohol by the gallon at the hardware store.
The sure bet would be to burn it off. Open those french doors and a window opposite. Run it hot for a good 20 minutes. Walk outside if you must bht, keep an eye on it.
NOT before making sure your chimney is clean. You did say the stove hasn't been used in a year. Also, you need ember protection on that floor.
Thank you. The stove has a stone pedastal it sits on, about a foot off the floor. Unfortunately I can't open any of my windows; they are sealed shut (old house). I'll have to keep the exterior door open. thanks again

Thank you. The stove has a stone pedastal it sits on, about a foot off the floor. Unfortunately I can't open any of my windows; they are sealed shut (old house). I'll have to keep the exterior door open. thanks again
Your welcome.
I did see the hearth in your pic. The front of your stove sits at the leading edge of that hearth. If you open the door, and any burning pieces of wood or embers fall out, there's a good chance they would land on the floor.

Your welcome.
I did see the hearth in your pic. The front of your stove sits at the leading edge of that hearth. If you open the door, and any burning pieces of wood or embers fall out, there's a good chance they would land on the floor.
Right. I keep the door shut during burning and am careful when I stir the fire. Thanks.

Gee what could go wrong? Furniture oil used on a wood stove, no ember protection in front of stove with a wood floor in front of it and windows that are sealed shut. This is all the makings of a disaster. It doesn't matter how careful you try to be embers can escape.

Reactions: ctreitzell
Gee what could go wrong? Furniture oil used on a wood stove, no ember protection in front of stove with a wood floor in front of it and windows that are sealed shut. This is all the makings of a disaster. It doesn't matter how careful you try to be embers can escape.
My spouse is a 95% disabled stroke patient (for 12 years now); I run and maintain a small farm and stay worn out with NO help from anyone. We have used the woodburner for several years with no issues. Believe it or not I have a lot of common sense with the exception of the oil on the woodburner. I had no idea it would screw it up but I'll get it back to normal again. We have a huge central HVAC system that the heating portion runs off of propane and of course electric and it goes thru propane really fast; propane is expensive. I haven't turned the heater on in 3 years. What do you recommend for the flooring in front of the stove, on top of the existing wood flooring? Thanks for your response.

All th
My spouse is a 95% disabled stroke patient (for 12 years now); I run and maintain a small farm and stay worn out with NO help from anyone. We have used the woodburner for several years with no issues. Believe it or not I have a lot of common sense with the exception of the oil on the woodburner. I had no idea it would screw it up but I'll get it back to normal again. We have a huge central HVAC system that the heating portion runs off of propane and of course electric and it goes thru propane really fast; propane is expensive. I haven't turned the heater on in 3 years. What do you recommend for the flooring in front of the stove, on top of the existing wood flooring? Thanks for your response.

All the more reason to make sure you are burning safely. You need ember protection. They make mats for this. You should also have someone come and unstick the windows. That is very dangerous. God forbid there is a fire. You want to have other ways out of the house if doors are blocked by fire.

Your house has a very cozy, warm feel. 😌

A piece of heavy tin would provide ember protection. You might have a suitable piece laying around...

As stated by another, alcohol would remove the oil.

Anything can be thrown through a window for semi-easy escape. A mere window wouldn't stop me, that's for sure.

Reactions: NHWS
Maybe you put it on heavy to really polish it? Treat it like a new stove / pipe and run a few shorter less hot fires through it so it cures it and doesn’t fill the hose with smoke?

Reactions: NGWatts
I would wipe it down with mineral spirits. Let it dry very well before lighting. That won’t affect cured paint.

Stove boards are available in all shapes and sizes. Hy-C makes one 48 X18. 18 inches is required in front of stove for embers and log roll out.

Is all the window and door trim and curtains 36 inches from stove surfaces? Looks closer than the required clearance. Measuring on any angle, this requires 36 inches in all directions.