Cherry Split & Stacked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Had a great day in Northern NY for splitting and stacking, we had some nice winds with the sun all day. Split the Cherry we took out of the woods two weeks ago, still have a truck load left which I plan on doing tomorrow, attached are some pics.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4226.jpg
    100_4226.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 502
  • 100_4227.jpg
    100_4227.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 486
  • 100_4228.jpg
    100_4228.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 504
  • 100_4229.jpg
    100_4229.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 516
  • 100_4230.jpg
    100_4230.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 523
Looks great
Some of the splits didn't look like cherry, (top left pic) were pretty white.
Still looked good

bogydave said:
Looks great
Some of the splits didn't look like cherry, (top left pic) were pretty white.
Still looked good

Good eye, I had some basswood that I used for the bottom row on half of what I stacked.

zap

Nice work ZAP. I am jealous. I can not do anything with the wood this weekend. It is just sitting there in my yard waiting to be split and stacked. Hopefully I can get it done before we get snow of any amount. How much wood do you have c/s/s ZAP? You do know that sooner or later you are going to have enough to be four years ahead and you are going to have to take a long break from that fun weekend work that you enjoy so much. Or, better yet, keep going and then sell me some. :cheese:

Very nice Zap, think I saw a split out by a half inch though.

maxed_out, thanks. Looking for another three cord before I'm done.....after that I'm still looking for another three cord. :eek:hh:

gasifier, we have 17 real cord up at this time, looking to get 20 or over which can be done. I guess my neighbor has dibbs on five cord if I decide to sell.

solarandwood, I stacked it like I was going to sell it :snake: lots of gaps so it's off more than that.

zap

zapny said:
I stacked it like I was going to sell it :snake: lots of gaps so it's off more than that.
zap

Also helps is dry faster ;)

Looks perfect to me. :)

bogydave said:
zapny said:
I stacked it like I was going to sell it :snake: lots of gaps so it's off more than that.
zap

bogydave, are you still cutting or is that done for the year.

zap

zapny said:
bogydave said:
zapny said:
zap

bogydave, are you still cutting or is that done for the year.

zap

Done for now. If we get our normal "January thaw" & the road in to the cutting area is usable with out all 4 tires needed chained up, I might get some more.
Then plan now is to wait until spring April/May to get the last 2 cords of the permit.
But if some accessible wood becomes available, I'm ready. It'll be 13/14 or beyond wood though. Got 3 years worth on hand now.
Talked to the State forester, some easier/better cutting areas may be opening up next year, but the ATV made the one now allot more "doable" than I initially thought.
Was kinda fun, getting out & able to cut wood, ATV right to the trailer, allot less "back work" for sure.

Some day maybe I can learn to stack as neatly as Zap does! Nice work Zap.

Backwoods Savage said:

That will be the day ole Sav uses stakes on the ends!

zap

Hey ZAP. What kind of log splitter ya got there? Where did you buy it? How many ton? What kind of engine does it have? And how do you like it?

Backwoods Savage said:

He does a meticulous job with those stacks, trick must be to split em all the same size.

Gasifier said:
Hey ZAP. What kind of log splitter ya got there? Where did you buy it? How many ton? What kind of engine does it have? And how do you like it?

American CLS 24 ton Vertical/Horizontal.. Briggs and Stratton 305cc, kicks ass, it's a great splitter and it's built to last...bought it from the Wood Chop Shop. I think the Wood Chop Shop will be opening a store in the O this coming spring.

The have stores in Canton and what I call Baxterville just past (about 2 miles on the right) the Raymonville Golf Course heading towards Massena, you can talk with John,Steve or Michele.

Zap

And don't forget about that MTD that zap has too.

Backwoods Savage said:
And don't forget about that MTD that zap has too.

Looks like I'll have until after Thanksgiving to make up my mind if I will leave it up top or bring it down for the winter, hopefully longer. I'm glad we bought it, it's a great splitter.

For Gasifier, we have a MTD 20 Ton, Vertical/Horizontal, 5 horse briggs and stratton engine, you'll need to ask Sav what year.

zap

American CLS 24 ton Vertical/Horizontal.. Briggs and Stratton 305cc, kicks ass, it’s a great splitter and it’s built to last…bought it from the Wood Chop Shop. I think the Wood Chop Shop will be opening a store in the O this coming spring.
The have stores in Canton and what I call Baxterville just past (about 2 miles on the right) the Raymonville Golf Course heading towards Massena, you can talk with John,Steve or Michele.
Zap

Thanks for the info ZAP. CLS, I will have to check those out. Sooner or later I am going to buy a splitter. Yes, I have experience with John. I bought my Simplicity Broadmoor riding mower from him. Sweet ride. Nothing like a well built machine. I also bought my Husqvarna chainsaw from them, my Stihl weed wacker, my stihl chaps, and now my Stihl farmboss chainsaw from them as well. Cool to have a place to buy from that supports what it sells. I am psyched they are opening a store in da burg.

Have you seen those new fangled ones they have? Kenetic energy.

http://www.drpower.com/standardcontent.aspx?page=rapidfire_splitter_home

Pretty cool. Ouch on the price though. A little to much for me. Scratch that. A lot to much for me.

Every once and a while I see a used one for sale for about 500-800 bucks. I will see if I can find one that has not been used much. How much did have fork over for the 24 ton?

Gasifier said:
American CLS 24 ton Vertical/Horizontal.. Briggs and Stratton 305cc, kicks ass, it’s a great splitter and it’s built to last…bought it from the Wood Chop Shop. I think the Wood Chop Shop will be opening a store in the O this coming spring.
Zap

Thanks for the info ZAP. CLS, I will have to check those out. Sooner or later I am going to buy a splitter. Yes, I have experience with John. I bought my Simplicity Broadmoor riding mower from him. Sweet ride. Nothing like a well built machine. I also bought my Husqvarna chainsaw from them, my Stihl weed wacker, my stihl chaps, and now my Stihl farmboss chainsaw from them as well. Cool to have a place to buy from that supports what it sells. I am psyched they are opening a store in da burg.

Pretty cool. Ouch on the price though. A little to much for me. Scratch that. A lot to much for me.

Every once and a while I see a used one for sale for about 500-800 bucks. I will see if I can find one that has not been used much. How much did have fork over for the 24 ton?

I think it was $1800.00, not sure but that number rings a bell. I like the 305 cc engine on it, it never bogs down.

zap

Gasifier said:
Zap

They never put any type of hitch on the thing, they expect you to pull that DR by hand, never heard of such a thing. Michele was showing me that about two weeks ago,sure is fast.

zap

weatherguy said:
Backwoods Savage said:

He does a meticulous job with those stacks, trick must be to split em all the same size.

It's all in how you take the picture, Sav taught me when they came over. :snake:

zap

They never put any type of hitch on the thing, they expect you to pull that DR by hand, never heard of such a thing. Michele was showing me that about two weeks ago,sure is fast.
zap

I do know one of the things I like about my neighbors is that it is really quiet. Home made electric/hydraulic. Very nice. I see DR has these electric as well.

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepModel...plitter_home&Page=dual_action_splitter_models

Not a bad price. I just don't know if they would be powerful enough. Probably would be for me. I use Ash and Pine. Both split easy. But that could change in the future. You never know what is going to happen with wood supply.

Gasifier said:
zap

I do know one of the things I like about my neighbors is that it is really quiet. Home made electric/hydraulic. Very nice. I see DR has these electric as well.

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepModel...plitter_home&Page=dual_action_splitter_models

Not a bad price. I just don't know if they would be powerful enough. Probably would be for me. I use Ash and Pine. Both split easy. But that could change in the future. You never know what is going to happen with wood supply.

Call DR direct and ask the help what they think of the Electric Splitters they sell. If this is the one your talking about it looks like a nice unit, I was thinking of the smaller electric splitter they use to sell.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.